• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

changing power steer pump & Gear togehter?

NHm1009

Hi, i have an m1009 4 inch lift w/ 35s, and m1010 axles under it. After hunting for a popping noise in my steering (and replacing all links and tie rod ends, as well ash checking all other joints) i noticed the shaft connecting to the pitman arm of my sterring gear moves up and down slightly when the pop occurs (moving steering one side to the other makes it occur) I am assuming the gear is junk and will replace, is it possible the pump failed and flushed material into my gear and ruining it? (steering gear was replaced when i lifted the truck last march). I just dont want to ruin my new steering gear if there is an issue in the pump. (i run it hard in mud and snow), but just was hoping for some expert advice on not ruining my new parts. couldn't find a lot of info on my issue. (literally the shaft the pitman arm attaches to moves up abruptly like a 1/4 of an inch when turning, and drops down suddenly). I also went over the frame with a mag light and dont see any cracks, and didnt see movement went i pushed the steering gear around with a 2x4

NHm1009

Yes I can see no movement between the arm and the shaft, but can see a not smooth movement in the shaft itself in comparison to the steering gear body. I cannot wiggle the pitman arm with my largest pair of channel locks as well. the pop also feels stronger when i put my hand on the steering gear and have my girlfriend turn the wheels then the pop feels when i hold onto the drag link

Drock

Well I'm NO expert on these trucks as most all are here. But I'll go out on ah limb here and say if it's anything like the ford boxes I've seen (worm gear & sector shaft design). Something in the box has definitely let go. Weather it be ah shim on the end of that shaft, or ah tooth off that gear, or the body of the box it's self, or foreign objects from something else. Ether way your guna need to pull it apart and diagnose it. You can tell better then what the failure was caused buy.

dependable

That shaft moving up and down is the normal sign of worn steering gear. It is possible some contamination from gear got in pump, but if it sounds OK, (is not noisy during operation) it probably is OK. If you clean out pump & lines when you replace gear it should be fine. I have replaced steering gears before without replacing pumps, and it worked out.

Working on these gears is a pain, it is much easier to put in a rebuilt one.

NHm1009

No screw touching, I bought this box (re manufactured Cardone) and didnt want to start adjusting because i was told the lashback is done at the factory and to not touch it if you didnt know what you where doing. So no screw adjustments at any point. (i got it burried to the bumper in ice/snow/mud in march and winched/drove it out on pallets and old tires, and bound the steering alot more than normal use), hasnt been right since. I will replace with a new or factory rebuilt gear. (already did steering rag and all other steering components. the pop is sometimes loud enough to hear over the truck (straight piped) and i can feel it under my feet

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks