• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Changing the belts on my deuce

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can try to turn the front half of the sheave against the rear using a big adjustable wrench or pipe wrench on the rear and a bigger pipe wrench on the front. However this method chews the parts up and makes the completed job look amatuer.

X5 on doing it right with the pair of specialty wrenches.

Rick

emr

There is always a way, Like they said get the tool, First look in the classifieds first, if none there ask for a SS vendor to sell you one, thats what this site is for, But most on here appreciate those who do at least some sort of search first, The tips and tricks are all in the TMs, People on this site say use them because they work. Just being honest, its very easy once you read the TM s,

kawkev

Order a set of the tools for the compressor pulley. You won't regret it. Also, you may want to start spraying a little Kroil, WD-40, or some other type of penetrating oil on the bolts and the front part of the compressor pulley where it threads onto the rear part of the pulley while you're waiting on your tools to arrive. Repeat the application occasionally but make sure you don't spray it on the belt!! When you get the tools, you'll be glad you put the penetrating oil on and gave it time to work!!!

When I first adjusted my belt, it required quite a bit of effort and patience. I ended up using a large open end wrench on the rear part of the pulley because the face of the wrench was wider than the adjusting tool was. The adjusting tool looked like it was going to strip the wrench boss due to the adjusting tool being narrow and the pulley being stuck. I worked the pulley in both directions until it freed up, then the adjusting tools worked like a charm. Of course in order to use the large open end wrench I had to move some things out of the way. You shouldn't need to do that with the adjusting tool once you get the pulley freed up. Be patient!!!!!

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Buy the set from Comdiver. You will be glad you did! You cannot live without them They make fast work out of changing or tightening the compressor belt. 2cents

peashooter

I wish I would have bought the tools. I didn't have the time to wait so i made my own out of a scrap piece of 1/2" aluminum and used a big adjustable wrench on the back. Penetrating oil was a must. I also had to put some pin punches in to try to spread the threaded clamps....... It was really on there tight. I had 3' breaker bars on both wrenches. I cleaned the threads really well after and put anti-seize on so next time should be easy.

Attachments

phil2968

You will have fun getting the new belt on if you by one by mail. It will come in a very small loop and will not stay extended enough to get to the tapered part of the pulley. Ask me how I know. Do yourself a favor and get the one from Napa, 25-9510. It will come extended in a sleeve and will almost put itself on!

Z71

Sometimes the pulley threads may be very tight and you may need a cheater pipe to slip over the tool handle to turn the front half of the pulley. I bought an open right size wrench to hold the other pulley half stationary. It is a big wrench, probably 1 3/4 inches, or something like that.

Ford Mechanic

Just changed mine this weekend without the tool. I used a pair of channel locks and a big pipe wrench, works fine. Improvise, adapt, and overcome.