• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

changing the front axle seal

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Well today was the day to start the axle seal Repair

#1-- It is nice to have a 819 boom push tube if you don't have a big compressor
#2--after hub and drum is pulled, for the drum, a bfh and penetrating oil
#3--hub, notice wear mark on the back side , the bottom stud was out to far and wore a 1/8 grove, will shorten before putting back together.
#4--disconnect brake line at the hard line and plug
#5--backing plate and spindle, no need to remove the brakes, the cylinder,ect
#6--axle
#7--spindle nut socket, notice the 2 different size ends, needed because the inner and outer nuts on the spindle are different.
#8-- whats left of the boot

Also my name for a few days is GIMPY RON, DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT wear tennies while working on a 5T, rolled the 1200 over my toe :oops:, once it was hurt, seems like everything found the toe

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What size are the spindle nuts? I need to get the sockets.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any pics of the toe?:p

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Any idea on getting the seal and retainer out without screwing up the retainer, most likly a slide hammer will pull the retainer and seal, the tm-34 says to pull the retainer, replace with a new retainer and seal, I have a seal not a retainer (didnt plan on this) this why it is best to READ the TM FIRST :oops:, when I first ordered the seal, a loooong time ago I didnt have the TMs , Then looking at -34p I see the retainer, still thinking no big deal till I read REPLACE

jwaller

I used a slide hammer to take mine out. if that doesn't do it then you have to take apart the OTHER side to hammer it out from the R side. thats no fun at all.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think, driving it out with a pipe, from the opposite side, is best. I don't think anybody replaces the retainer(just reuse it)

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you finally get the retainer out? I am working on a M52 that tookout both bearings and both seals. The slide hammer isn't doing the job.

Pics to follow.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
yes, the slide hammer didnt work for me eather, I used a 90 degree scraper with a the flat end of a pinch bar wedging the scraper in place, THREE hits on the long end of the scraper popped the seal and washer out, the seal was getting changed, no point in saving it