• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Changing the front cab mounts on the 1078A1

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
https://midwestmilitaryequipment.co...unt-mtv-kit-military-mount-m1078-m1083-m1088/ for those who will come here seeking parts I found this online. better than the $98 a piece on ebay
I'm not sure what can be done about it, but many of these vendors have NOS, that the government got rid of because they didn't trust to have them around anymore. I'm not saying Midwest's are old, but they may be.

I ordered a cab bushing from a different vendor to measure, so that I can eventually make new ones, and it was so weak it didn't even survive shipping to me! That was fine for me, because I was still able to hold it together and take measurements, but if I had intended to install it on the truck I would have been pissed.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'm not sure what can be done about it, but many of these vendors have NOS, that the government got rid of because they didn't trust to have them around anymore. I'm not saying Midwest's are old, but they may be.

I ordered a cab bushing from a different vendor to measure, so that I can eventually make new ones, and it was so weak it didn't even survive shipping to me! That was fine for me, because I was still able to hold it together and take measurements, but if I had intended to install it on the truck I would have been pissed.
Has anyone written or found a "tech tip" for how to replace the cab bushings on the LMTV?

I am headed that direction. The bumper is off and the skid plates are off. I have sprayed everything with penetrating oil for a few days. It appears that the nut on the bottom is 1 and 3/16th's but getting to it isn't going to be easy.

There is mention that the "cab bushings" should be inspected in the TM in several places. Cracks are bad in the rubber according to the book. I have one truck with cracked rubber mounts and one truck with NO RUBBER at all...

Swamp_Fox

Do you mind sharing the measurements? If not, would you make some up and sell them? What did you make them from? What do you think of making them from urethane or polyurethane?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any chance that you might include installation instructions with your cab biscuits?
I hadn't really thought about it. I generally do try to include detailed instructions with any of my stuff, however there's not much to the cab mounts... it's a rubber ring with a bolt through it. Take the nut off, pick the cab up with a jack, swap the rubber bushing, put it back together.

I'm not sure what the TM says about it, but when we were installing the winch we had to change out the whole passenger-side metal cab mount bracket, and it didn't require any instructions.

1613932593405.png

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I hadn't really thought about it. I generally do try to include detailed instructions with any of my stuff, however there's not much to the cab mounts... it's a rubber ring with a bolt through it. Take the nut off, pick the cab up with a jack, swap the rubber bushing, put it back together.

I'm not sure what the TM says about it, but when we were installing the winch we had to change out the whole passenger-side metal cab mount bracket, and it didn't require any instructions.

View attachment 826440
I got sidetracked on the winch installation on the M1088. Got it attached, then it got cold and rained off and on for several days in a row. Then the M1089 seemed more urgent since it has no rubber at all. Got the bumper off, skid plates off, have used penetrating on those bolts for several days... Getting close. Getting access doesn't seem easy or obvious. Figure in a few days warmer weather will make it more obvious.

Thanks for the pic. Searching the right place might help me a lot.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got sidetracked on the winch installation on the M1088. Got it attached, then it got cold and rained off and on for several days in a row. Then the M1089 seemed more urgent since it has no rubber at all. Got the bumper off, skid plates off, have used penetrating on those bolts for several days... Getting close. Getting access doesn't seem easy or obvious. Figure in a few days warmer weather will make it more obvious.

Thanks for the pic. Searching the right place might help me a lot.
1613941565062.png
This bracket? We didn't have to remove the bumper. Just support the cab with a jack, take the bolts out, and swap it.

1613941618539.png

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
View attachment 826450
This bracket? We didn't have to remove the bumper. Just support the cab with a jack, take the bolts out, and swap it.

View attachment 826451
Thanks for the pictures. Son was under and I wasn't. Definitely looks like the non-winch version is going to be a lot easier to get to with power tools. The mount with fairleads look like they might be a bear. I am hoping that the penetrating oil over the past few days will help when the time comes to take it apart.

Third From Texas

The steering side *IS* the worse of the two.

I had grill, skid plate, and bumper off one time and remember saying to my self that that would be how I approached it when the time came (the current set are like new still). I've seen a few various methods for the driver side including jacking the cab up.

coachgeo

The steering side *IS* the worse of the two.

I had grill, skid plate, and bumper off one time and remember saying to my self that that would be how I approached it when the time came (the current set are like new still). I've seen a few various methods for the driver side including jacking the cab up.
there is couple threads in here on this topic.. some explained it pretty well. If recall right the some jacking up on one side made it easier but do not recall which side.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The steering side looks even worse to me. Mine is completely gone on that side.

Waiting on Awesomeness to make the bushings.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spent a little time late last week on one of the nice warm days. Been spraying penetrating oil every day for about a week in preparation. Jacked over the cab by hand about a quarter of the way up... Happened to walk around the front of the truck - and on the passenger side - the bolt was all that kept the cab from "falling off the truck".

It appeared to me that I might have been able to put a block on top of the "rubber snubber" beside the bushing. In theory anyhow, it seemed like the bolt could have been removed (with the cab back down) and the bushing replaced.

Hopefully.

Hope to report back in next week. Weather permitting.

BERZERKER888

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Need to do this job myself, interested to see how it goes for you.
well.. passenger side is easy peasy.. drivers side , after removing the grill appears to be a huuuge pita. The upper bushing is readily accessible... the lower...God knows .. I can barely see the lock nut... 1/2 dozen air lines in the way as well as 2 large "hoses"... not sure if bumper removal will grant access or the airlines need to be move as well...oh boy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks