• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Changing the Gama Goat oil and filter.

Joe Gamma

Any hard learned tips for changing the gama goat oil. Any prefered filter ..I finnaly got the time to do it...What gasket does it take..

That cartridge filter looks pretty uncommon...

Thanks again guys..

Joe

Last edited:

BillIdaho

I chose to use Shell ROTELLA 30 wgt, rated for CS2 (2 stroke diesel compatible). I put a valve on a short pipe nipple to replace the drain plug and extended it down, to avoid the MESS when changing the oil. I forget the filter numbers off-hand. (This is if you decide against the $100 remote spin-on adapter.)

Joe Gamma

I changed the oil for the first time today and as I am certainly not a mechanic, boy was it a fight. I thank god I have small hands and am flexible from my days in the Russian Ballay. I think three truths about a Gama Goat... is What ever work you do taking the seats out makes it easier,the Goat breeds grease fittings and no matter what you do under the goat it will leak on you like a dog...maybe not oil but somthing will just drip on you from its random assortment of diffrentials and transfers and transmissions ect.

Never deserved a beer more..

Joe

Last edited:

Joe Gamma

It's a wonderful vehicle.
If it gets too much for ya, sell it.
There are a bunch of guys that will love it.
Don't get me wrong...I have done a ton of work on my goat and love it. I kinda feel I am earning my stripes as a gama goat owner. If I get over my head I'll have a pro look at it but assure you I will never sell my Goat. I broke open the books and tommorrow plan to lube every point and rumble around town...

It was a real sence of accomplishment changing the oil on her and it will be far easier next time..

You actually had a big influence on how I painted mine..

Joe

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm interested in the filters as well, and if anyone knows about the remote setup, that as well.

Joe Gamma

I used a PT 11 from the Baldwin Filters company I picked up at truck parts store..bought two in fact for 8 bucks each. I also used SA30 for perium diesels from Travler. Attached a Image

Attachments

Last edited:

goat whisperer

Hi everybody...
I wonder why you all have problems to find the filters for the goat!?
The filters are not "Goat-specific", just ask a DD dealer for the filters of the 3-53 engine...

Gamagoat1

Just make sure you don't use a multi-weight oil. A good 40wt is good. A lot of the problems with these little 2 cycle engines is a result of scuffing the cylinder walls because of too light oil.

Filter numbers:
Fuel Primary---NAPA 3552
Fuel Secondary---NAPA 3540
Oil----NAPA 1138

Oil - Rotella T1--40wt.

Militoy

I also use the Baldwin PT11 - a direct crossover for the GM 5574978. The only issues I have had with the stock oil filter are the unavoidable mess at the filter when changing oil, and the occasional leak at the low-end gasket on the filter. The filter is mounted at a low point on the engine - so watch the oil pressure when you start up after any extended period when the engine has been sitting. BTW - Baldwin also sells a nice primary fuel filter for the goat (F845-A), as well as a secondary fuel filter (PF902).

Last edited:

Gamagoat1

Detroit sells a kit that replaces the original oil filter and housing. It provides a spin-on cartridge.

This makes changeing the oil filter a snap...

Attachments

Last edited:

Militoy

I've been avoiding it for years in the interest of keeping the vehicle original - but I guess I probably should break down and look into getting a spin-on adapter from my Detroit dealer. The cartridge filter is kind of a PIA to change in any case.

Joe Gamma

I've been avoiding it for years in the interest of keeping the vehicle original - but I guess I probably should break down and look into getting a spin-on adapter from my Detroit dealer. The cartridge filter is kind of a PIA to change in any case.

I oddly have after market battery boxes and love them sine I seem to stand on them all the time...I just collect the origanils and set them aside...just like if I go to the Spin on adapter...When and if I sell the goat all the originals are tucked in a box...

joe

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks