• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Changing tires

papercu

pic

Here is a side view. You can measure your tire and make it just a little larger, steel floor on mine so tires roll easy in and out but not needed and there are wheels on one cage so it can roll about. I had one that was made of plate steel, it even had gages and an air line mounted. If you need more pictures or anything else just let me know. Wayne

Attachments

Crazyguyla

RE: pic

The hydrolic bead breaker is great... when it works. more times, i've been in units that let their bead breakers go south in a bad way. We had to use mattoxes to break down the tires. It works, take time and a good back. Just have to hit squarely between the rim and the tire or one might gouge a perfectly good tire. 2cents

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: bead breaker

I spent a year as a heavy truck mechanic in upstate New York and had one old dump truck come in with two flats and it took me over a half hour of beating with the Kentool hammer and diesel fuel poured around it several times. I did get it off on them but ruined the ring since it was so badly rusted that the spring was gone after I beat the heck out of it. I had to grind the rims inside to get the rust off so I could mount the new tires.

In the inflation mode do you think the budd style rim strapped ring down to a steel frame would serve well to inflate the tire if I do not have a cage? I always waited till I got the tires on the truck if I was working on the road as our truck did not have a cage. I have one 1100 20 that was mounted at the tire shop but the guys were afraid to air it up past 10 PSI and I want to run it up before I go mount it.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!

When airing up the tires, I usually (loosely) wrap the rim with a big chain, then attach the clip on air chuck. Finally I in flate with about 15+ foot between the rim and myself. I have an air gauge that I use for close measurements on the air hose, then I use my trusted gauge at the tire after 50lbs.

houdel

Ditto what gimpyrobb says. That works, but make sure you have wraps all around the ring - wrap a turn of chain through each hand hole in the wheel center, then use a grab hook to hold the chain when you get back to the beginning.

I used to be a paramedic. We had a run at local gas station, a guy had mounted a split rim at home & brought it to the gas station to air it up. He leaned the tire against the wall of the building, ring side out, and started airing it up. The ring blew off and caught him dead center in the chest. He was DOS (dead on scene) when we arrived.

Be careful inflating those split rims!

papercu

tires

When we didn't have a cage we would shove it under the frame or if at the station raise the rack and slide the tire ( I was a lot younger then) under it and put the rack down and then air it up. Never had but one blow off though.
Another fun thing was the new (back then) tubeless tires for the big trucks you would pour a little gasoline inside the tire, back off some and throw a match at it, the whoop when it ignited would seat the bead! Pretty at night. Wayne

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I too use the chain method. But i lay the tire with the split ring down. This could launch the tire and rim skyward if the chain didn't hold. I use a clipon style air chuck and turn the valve at the gladhand on the back of the truck. I have a 50 foot hose and sit under the truck when filling. This provides a bit of cover should i have a rim/tire falling from the sky. I've fixed alot of flats in the woods this way. Thank god i've never had one blow. And i usally say a prayer while filling. I also let the air out of the tanks under the truck before filling so the tire fills slowly as the truck rebuilds air pressure.

Barrman

Ken,
The mental image of you under your truck looking at a tire sitting all by itself 50 feet away made me chuckle. Are your neighbors easily worried? If they are, next time you fill a tire wear a helmet and put sand bags around the tire. Just be sure and yell "FIRE IN THE HOLE!" real loud before you turn the valve.

Seriously, I agree about all the safety precautions already listed. We all have our own little ways of filling these things. I have a regulator on the hose near the door to my shop for painting use. When I fill spilt rims I turn the regulator down to 0, put on the clip tire chuck and slowly let pressure in until the beads seat. I never get more than 30 psi in the line at any time.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great idea on the regulator. I have one at the edge of the garage and will adapt your method. Good deal!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well I'm sure everything had an effect on the tire, but what finally got it off the rim was the "hi lift" jack and the duece's weight.Thanks for all the input on this subject guys.

Barrman

RE: Tire

For me, it isn't the speed it is the pressure. These rims are really pretty fool proof once the bead has seated all the way over the lock ring. Even if the ring looks right, until the tire is over it, I don't trust it.

I use the regulator for several reasons:

The tire gets no air until I turn the knob

How much is gets depends on how much I turn the knob

I can control to some extent how much of a "POP" it will make when it finally expands out. That POP is what will hurt you if the ring isn't on right.

As I posted above. We all have different ways of doing the same thing. Find a method that works for you and is comfortable to you and go with it.

papercu

Tire

slowly let pressure in until the beads seat. I never get more than 30 psi in the line at any time.

That my why question, 30 lbs is 30 lbs it doesn't matter if you take 30 minutes or 30 seconds to inflate to that much.