• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Changing turbos

marksgarage2

My truck runs great, but I just love the sound of the whistler turbo. I can get one cheap. I have the big turbo now . What all do I have to change to go to a whistler? Mark

williamh

what ??? your turck dosent make enough noise now ?????

you want some screaming sound ????

im looking for a muffler and some sound proofing !!

marksgarage2

turbo

Thats what I need to know. Exactly what other parts besides the turbo itself ? Whats wrong with loud. I like the way my deuce sounds. But I think the whistler sounds cool to. Thanks Mark

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Ive done it and its a straight across swap, no extra parts needed, just the turbo. Fairly easy job especially with the entire air cleaner assembly removed.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I, too, rather enjoy the scream of the "C" turbo on my vehicles. If I want something quiet I'll get a Cadillac or one of those German doojobbys. I'm one of those people that have a strick view on things. A few oxymorons that come to mind are Jeep doors and LDT mufflers.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The whistler brings back memories from decades past, kind of like the turbo props from the old C-130's, but the throaty sound from my "D" turbo gives me goosbumps.
Wonder how much a muffler reduces the efficiency of the turbo?

marksgarage2

turbo

Thanks for the input guys. When my son and I went to Aberdeen this year a whistler deuce was driving around. When we heard that sound my son said, I wish are truck sounded like that. So Iam going to change it over. Thanks guys

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny, My c turbo sings through the muffler. I'm sure you heard brent's though. His is much quieter. I'm glad the muffler didn't kill the wistle. The truck wouldn't be the same with out it!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
turbo

It wasn't a deuce tractor with a screaming turbo was it?

marksgarage2 said:
Thanks for the input guys. When my son and I went to Aberdeen this year a whistler deuce was driving around. When we heard that sound my son said, I wish are truck sounded like that. So Iam going to change it over. Thanks guys

marksgarage2

turbo

Sorry Ken. It was a cargo truck. We got there sat. I stopped and told Bjorn that i loved his articles in MV mag and to say thanks. You guys looked tired, so we went back to the sale. Looking foward to meeting you guys next year at Aberdeen. Mark

Pappa-G

Wonder how much a muffler reduces the efficiency of the turbo?
I run a turbo/muffler on my M185A3. on my last trip, fully loaded, I got 9mpg and was able to keep up with Armada's M35 w/C turbo(he was pulling a trailer but not carrying as much weght as me)
On the way back I was towing a M1009 and got 8mpg and lost power going up hill, but had no problem on the flats. The loss of power from the muffler may be there but the loss of the noise pays off after the first hour in an 11 hour drive.

Adamlee

change turbos? how about non-turbo multifuel?

Hey, I have the ULTIMATE multifuel option on my 70 M35A2...it's called "giant quiet smoke stack of power" or something like that...yes, my ride is proudly NON-turbo'ed, happily belching columns of smoke on heavy acceleration as I choo-choo down the highway, much like a 1940's coal-burning railroad engine.

I may be joking, I may be serious....actually, she runs darn good for a straight injected multifuel, and I doubt I'll do any turbo upgrade.

For the 1,000 bucks I paid for it from the DRMO, I really don't think I need to add a turbo to make the truck feel more pretentious than it already is....

plus, I can actually hold somewhat of a conversation in the cab unlike some turbos I know.... :idea:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Speaking of NA, here's a deuce fire truck speeding (Haha) it's way across the desert with the M197 converter dollly and M118 trailer in tow. There's that plume of smoke!

Attachments

Adamlee

Pics of current deuce use in afghanistan/iraq

Speaking of deuces in the desert, I am not at my home PC but I am always collecting current pics of A2 and similar M35's from the 2 active theaters.

Late-model M35A3 pics are ok, but I am trying to form up a composite "sketch" of how older style deuces, which you still occasionally see in use, are kitted out & unit marked.

I have a collection of nice scanned pics of in-theater armored-up deuces, 5-tons, HEMMT's, 915/916's, and HMMWV's I will post sometime soon.

Thanks!

Armada

To marksgarage:
No major problems to swap. You will want to soak all bolts real good with penetrating oil at least a week prior to taking things apart. It takes some time to change turbos because some of the bolts are hard to get at. Also the C turbo did not quite line up the same as the D turbo I took off, so a couple of the hoses needed to be replaced, (which is a good idea anyway), because of differences in length. Use all new gaskets, keep everything clean to avoid getting dirt in the turbo, and 'pre-oil' the turbo before installation. It helps a lot for added working room to remove the air cleaner assembly as well. If you are thinking about installing an exhaust temp gage, that would be the perfect time to do it as the thermo couples are installed pre-turbo in the exhaust manifold. (You will have to drill and tap it). You may want to drill and tap the manifold anyway and just put a plug in, in case you decide to add the gage later. Do this after the old turbo is removed and before the new one is installed. You do not want metal shavings to get into the turbo. Here is a picture showing the C turbo and the thermo couples. (I put in 2, you can use one if you want). Good luck!

Attachments