• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Charge Batteries in place on truck?

rolling18

does anyone know how to charge/ jump the batteries using a 12 VOLT charger?
what terminals to attache the charge cables?
(Without removing from the truck and charging individually)
I DO have a bat equalizer installed..
thanks!

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Charge them one at the time by putting the proper clips to the posts. Mine will top off in an hour or so that way, then I switch the leads onto the other battery. Half a day and I'm done.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have charged them one at a time with the dog bone on using a 12 volt charger. I do not have a battery equalizer. Just make sure you pay extra attention to the polarity. Also check to make sure the cables are tight and you have good connections since you are right there.

rolling18

ok thanks for those ideas, I will do that ..
Is there a way I can charge BOTH at same time?
or will my equalizer feed the other batery?
hmmm....

engine is cold. not started for few weeks

rolling18

ok thanks I managed to get it jumped attaching the charger to the outside terminals neg. on one and pos. of the other
i will do a complete charge at a later time

thANKS AGAIN FOR THE INFO!

emr

There is a bazillion posts on this, U never have to disconnect anything to put a charger on each battery, You can charge one batt at a time if you only have one charger and allot of time, just switch it to the next one, You can put 6 -2 volt chargers on the same batt and say a 15amp on the other, Charging batts are like filling a pool, the chargers will cut off before putting more than the batt holds, so why would there ever be a reason to disconnect anything, Proper batt maintenance is important, the batts dont fail , people fail the batts by human error, once a year at least take em out clean em charge em individually and rotate them and put them back in, A clean batt holds a charge longer, dust dirt and grime leach juice, Rotating batts is important because the first batt gets all the juice when driving and the second and so on get the run off, The last batt is always a little low because the charging system only knows the first one is charged and stops when there is enough in the next batts to not let it pull enough for the charging system to recognize. so the last batts sulfate, and in time will be a problem, those with allot of these trucks, when they find the batts bad , if they take the time to test em , they will find the first batt is fine but the latter batt or batts will eventually have a bad cell, or sulfate so much it or they wont hold a charge,

emr

Oh I just noticed the Jump part, You can jump from 2 cars, or just 2 batts on the ground, with 2 sets of cables, You can put a 12 volt jump pack or start charger on each batt just like the chargers when charging like i stated above. , they will never put more in than the batts can hold normally, If you have 2 deuces you can jump em with one set of jumper cables, :)

emr

I do not understand the idea of the equalizer feeding the other battery, All it does is help the solution in the batt slow down and in some cases help cure sulfation. All i said above hold true no matter what :) good luck... ....Oh and as good as a 24 volt on board or off board charger is and they are, there will be a weak last batt eventually, the best of the best is a 12 volt on board maintainer / desulfater to each batt mounted on board, I wired all power wires to one plug ...

Last edited:

rolling18

more great info!! EMR
wouldnt my Equalizer ensure the same charge/ discharge rate across both bats eliminating the need to rotate?

caliber1

Usually, if you connect the 12VDC charger ton the high side battery + and - that will let you jump it. Usually. You can get 24VDC chargers at NAPA or I've even seen small amperage ones at Bass Pro shops. The ones I found at Bass pro have two sets of wires to charge 12 volt and 24 volt, neat setup.

The equalizer keeps the batteries at even charge so you can draw 12VDC from the low side battery and not drain it down. I have a 24-12 volt converter in my deuce at the moment, but have a Vanner 50 amp equalizer waiting to be installed.