• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Charge / Tend HMMWV via slave port

tgejesse

I was wondering if anyone has (recently) set up 24v battery tending through the slave port. I saw some old threads here with old models for battery tenders.
I just got my hmmwv delivered today and wanna get that battery hooked up and given some love ASAP!

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was wondering if anyone has (recently) set up 24v battery tending through the slave port. I saw some old threads here with old models for battery tenders.
I just got my hmmwv delivered today and wanna get that battery hooked up and given some love ASAP!
If you're unsure the condition of your batteries, it's best to do 12V charging to each battery individually to bring them up to full charge before doing anything else.
The slave port charger is more just for maintaining a charge, if there is any doubt about charge levels then always go straight to battery.

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good advise to check the 12 volt batteries first. Get them up to charge. Then you can use a 24 volt Battery Tender. You can install the tender on the truck and connect to the 24 volt battery posts. Route the power cable somewhere with easy access. No need to disconnect the tender from the batteries when you are driving it. Then when you park the vehicle, just plug it into an extension cord. Your batteries will last a lot longer if you keep them up while the truck sits.

papakb

I once jump started an Abrhams M1 tank with my HMMWV at an airshow where they'd run the turret til they couldn't start the turbine so that slave port will support as much current in and out as the batteries will handle and since it's connected directly to the batteries it's an ideal place to charge them if you have to. The wire gauge to it is also heavy enough to support heavy current loads for short periods but up tp 1000 amps is not an issue for it. The HMMWV starter can draw 80+ amps during startup and that's the reason they tell you not to grind the starter for long periods.

Last edited:

rjf189

I have a NOCO Genius G26000 charger/maintainer with a slave cable made for me by Black Dog Customs.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A slave connector on a 24v charger if you want to charge/maintain all batteries through the slave port as a single unit.

A single battery at a a time at 12v is probably the best option though in terms of balanced charge.

Attachments

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I once jump started an Abrhams M1 tank with my HMMWV at an airshow where they'd run the turret til they couldn't start the turbine so that slave port will support as much current in and out as the batteries will handle and since it's connected directly to the batteries it's an ideal place to charge them if you have to. The wire gauge to it is also heavy enough to support heavy current loads for short periods but up tp 100 amps is not an issue for it. The HMMWV starter can draw 80+ amps during startup and that's the reason they tell you not to grind the starter for long periods.
I think you at least left off a zero on the starter requirements on a HMMWV

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a NOCO Genius G26000 charger/maintainer with a slave cable made for me by Black Dog Customs.
Unfortunately NO.CO has discontinued all of their consumer level 12/24V chargers, and the cheapest one they offer is $500.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Going through some related items to products I was looking at, I came across this charger. It doesn't list any of the actual specs, only that it will charge batteries down to 1 volt. At $180 it's cheaper than some of the other options I've seen in the past, doesn't have to be permanently mounted, and will charge the batteries then maintain/float charge them when done.

As we've gone over above though, it's still better to charge individually if possible, but if you have a dual voltage generator in your truck, and just want to keep the batteries topped off when not driving, this seems like a decent option.

This company also makes the NATO slave port adapters to use with any other type of 24V charger (it's also the company that manufactures the slave cable for the NOCO 26000 charger that Black Dog used to sell before NOCO discontinued the 26000)

Reactions: 98G
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks