• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

charging falling off to the red

Jeepsinker

Oh she will, just be patient and take your time with the diagnosis. Don't get in a hurry and get frustrated. If you have to reach out and see if there is anyone in your area that may be able to come by on a weekend and help you. I know there are plenty of members up your way. Remember, experience is the best way to learn your vehicle.

wilfreeman

GOOD NEWS!

I went to Sears and bought a new multimeter and a good set of test leads with alligator clips. I came home and hooked them up to the alternator output post and a decent ground and fired her up. The volt gauge on the dash showed in the yellow, so I killed the master switch and turned it back on - it went to red (overcharging). I ran out and checked the voltage - 30.4v. I turned the adjusting screw slowly until I felt a point of resistance, then turn a little more. It dropped to 29v. I turned even slower and it dropped on down. I finally stopped at 27.9v - WOOHOO! I checked at the batteries and got the same. I went back in and switched the master power off and back on a couple of times and she was in the GREEN, slightly below the tick mark. FINALLY! I buttoned up the alternator and lowered the hood and went for a ride around the field.

While I was out working on her, I decided to try a jumper wire (with alligator clips) from the fuel gauge to a good ground. Yeah, that didn't help. Oh well, at least I got one problem solved! Good enough for me!

I went back into the cab and fired her up one more time to take in my victory. WTF! The volt gauge was showing in the red again - all the way over! I switched off the master power and switched it back on a couple of times - it went back to slightly below the tick mark in the green!

What's going on here, if I might ask? I think I am going to try to find another switch - mine is pretty loose and easy to switch on and off.

wilfreeman

Thanks for the help jeepsinker! Sometimes it just takes someone with a little more experience in a certain area to give you the needed confidence to try new things!
If the GA rally wasn't a month away, I would wait and buy the parts from those guys, but I want to go ahead and get her straight now - so I can take her to my brother's body shop for a facelift. I guess I'll be cruisin' the old auction site for replacements!

Thanks again - maybe this will help someone with the same problem later on.

wilfreeman

A little update on my overcharging problem. Every once in awhile, it would jump over to the red. Switch it of and back on a couple of times and it would go back to normal charging. Today I got in to move her to the shop to prep for the drive to the body shop tomorrow. Voltage jumped over to the red for a few seconds, then back to normal. While driving the belts started squealing - looked over and she was in the red. I switched her off and back on a couple of times and it went to the green. Got to the shop and PM'ed her. Wife got home and wanted to drive it around the field (first time she had even been close to the truck). After she cranked it up, I noticed the voltage was in the yellow - I figured it would go to green while driving. No luck, no matter how many times I switched it off and back on!

Oh well, I guess it's time to do the civi one wire conversion! I'm not going to mess around with trying to find a good used alternator or replacing the regulator on it - my luck it would burn it up too or not fix the problem. Can't afford a new one. I guess I'll be safe running her up to my brother's shop tomorrow on battery only - about 20 miles.

My brother and I decided (while at the GA rally) to bob the truck with a dually setup (single rear axle) on G177s (for now - might go to singles in the future). They are going to blast and prime the truck, then start cutting.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks