• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Charging gauge suddenly not working at all.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I changed my fuel filter the other day on my M1009, and since that I did that my charging gauge is not working at all. The CUCV runs fine otherwise. In the process of bleeding the filter out by myself the drain line came lose and I managed to soak the rear passenger corner of the engine compartment fairly well. I assume that is probably what caused this new problem. I had hoped that once things dried out it work again, so I have not yet started poking around. Any ideas?

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, since diesel doesn't dry out very well it could still be a problem. Did you check the 28V fuse?

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
There is a 28v fuse :?: :wink: Still learning here. Where is that located? I located most of the civi 12V stuff with my earlier electrical problems.

aboonski

The Battery Guage on most or all of the CUCVs (M1008 & M1009) is actually a 12 volt guage that should have been a 24 volt guage. You can test your guage to see if it is still good by jumping across the white resistor on the back of the guage with a 12 volt power source - just touch one of the leads to the post at the opposite end of the resistor momuntarily to see if the guage moves - if it does, your resistor is bad. I purchased a ceramic resistor at a local electronics store here in Melbourne Florida for 50 cents and bridged the gap between one end of the bad resistor and the other post and my guage runs just fine. I'll post a picture of the finished product. Another person on this web site provided the technical knowlege of how to troubleshoot and fix the guage so I cannot accept full credit here.

Attachments

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Interesting stuff there aboonski. I checked the fuse and it was ok, but I have not had time to do much other poking other them pulling loose the instrument panel. I managed to fix the instument panel lights, and the glow plug light. Unfortunatly I had to cut the grass before it started raining. There is something wrong with having to cut the grass in January in Virginia.

1956_4x4

This might be a dumb question, but I can be pretty good at coming up with dumb questions. Does this resistor reduce the voltage to 12 volts? If it does, can I just bypass it since I have converted to a 12 volt system?

Smitty

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Well I checked the gauge and it appears to work. I also checked my charging voltages, and it does appear to be charging. I am betting that the problem is where ever that gauge actually connects to sense the charging voltage. Given what caused this I am expecting that to be located to the passenger side of the fuel filter where I doused it with fuel. I am going to try to work on this this evening.

Smithy I don't know enough to answer that even though it does make sense.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've never had to replace one, but according to the TM, there is a relay (somehwere under the dash?) that sends 28V to the gauge when the key is in the run position. It could be bad.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Ok I will look for that relay. I was reading past threads, and I got the idea that that relay told the alternators to charge. I had ruled that out before due to that thinking.

CCATLETT1984

1956_4x4 said:
This might be a dumb question, but I can be pretty good at coming up with dumb questions. Does this resistor reduce the voltage to 12 volts? If it does, can I just bypass it since I have converted to a 12 volt system?

Smitty
you can just get a normal 12v voltmeter, its the standard size.

1956_4x4

CCATLETT1984 said:
1956_4x4 said:

Smitty
you can just get a normal 12v voltmeter, its the standard size.
True, but if this will work I can save a couple of $$$ :) :) :) .

Smitty

Hasdrubal

My volt gauge hasn't worked for over a year. Like to try that resistor fix. What are the values for that resistor, ohm's, watts etc...not having any luck asking for a 12v resistor here.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks