• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

charging prob and voltage drop on m1009

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fix your starter relay wiring issue first.

Then work on your GEN1 issue.

From your first post, the in cab wiring portion of the circuit looks to be okay.

Check the ground wire on GEN1. It should go fron the ground terminal to somewhere on the engine. Usually one of the intake bolts. Clean the connectors on the wire.

You may have to take the alternator off and have it tested.

Looking at the voltage results from your fist post, you may also have an issue with GEN2.

The readings on the two-pin plug should be in the 24v range ans not 12v.

One step at a time. It may take a bunch of steps to get thru this.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For everyone...In the future, please continue the problem in the same thread. Do not start a new one as you are wasting your time and ours by retracing the same issues.

hvillem1009

Well, got the wire and solenoid for the doghead conversion. I started by pulling fuse block to double check the wires behind it to make sure no more burned wires. I found only the red wire coming from starter relay burnt to where it goes through fire wall. I also decided to check the glow plug module. Well it looks like the short burned my glow plug module. If the glow plug module is inoperative, will that keep the gen #1 light from not lighting up? I looked in the TM and it mainly talks about the "WAIT" light. What other problems can happen with the glow plug module inoperative?

mistaken1

If the glow plug module is inoperative, will that keep the gen #1 light from not lighting up?
No.

I looked in the TM and it mainly talks about the "WAIT" light. What other problems can happen with the glow plug module inoperative?
The glow plug module controls the glow plug relay and wait light and nothing more. If the glow plug module is not working it will not activate the glow plug relay. No glow plugs means no or at best hard cold starts.

hvillem1009

Thank you for the information on the glow plug module mistaken1.

Warthog, I got the doghead conversion completed and it cranked with no problems. It was also about 97 degrees outside. If the glow plug module just controls the glow plugs I am going to do a bypass conversion for that. I have check the brown wire from gen#1 by using multimeter to ohm the wire from connector to fire wall, and then from in-cab firewall to plug on back of instrument cluster. I could not find any problems with the wire. I still can not get gen#1 to charge or the gen#1 light to come on. I took it back off and had it tested again, it is in all good working order. You mentioned the ground wire from gen#1 to the engine. Is it possible to use a different ground site for this?

Once I get gen#1 problem figured out I will move on to gen#2. I thank you and everyone else for the help.

hvillem1009

This morning i double checked wiring and hooked all connections up. The glow plug module does not have a card in it, and wont until I get a replacement. Then i connected batteries up. I disconnected the 2 wire plug on back of gen1 to test and see what voltages i get.

With the key off: Red 12.6 volts
Brown 0 volts.

With key on: Red 12.3 volts
Brown 11.9 volts.

I still can not get the gen1 light to come on when key is in ON position. Is the 4Wheeldirve light suppose to come on too? Because its not coming on either. Next I checked voltages on connector on instrument cluster with it plugged in to instrument cluster. I am getting voltage to the gen1 bulb, but it is not lighting up. The voltage is 11.8 going to bulb. I swapped out bulb for a new one(168) and still will not light up. Does anyone have an idea of what is going on?

hvillem1009

I decided to move the ground for gen1 to a different location. Well, believe or not now my gen1 light is working. Guess that it just didn't have a good enough ground. The spot where it was did have a lot of gunk build up. With that being said, I am definitely going to go inspect all connection points on the bus bar to make sure they are clean.

Now, to get it cranked. Still got to get the glow plug module so I can see if its going to be charging right. When i get that installed, I will keep everyone updated. Definitely check for clean connections, makes for easier troubleshooting.

hvillem1009

I did a temporary glow plug by pass and got it cranked. Both gen1 and gen2 are now charging and everything is working good.

My next couple of projects will be weatherstrip replacement, bed liner on inside and leaf springs re-arched. Once these are done I plan on getting new tires and put new seats in.

Want to thank everyone for all the help. This is one of the best informative forums I have experienced.

mistaken1

Yes, just ground the light blue wire from the glow plug relay with a momentary switch for manual glow plug control.

Grounds are probably the most overlooked connections on CUCVs.

Glad to hear you got it started and thank you for the AAR (after action report) as it help others who read the this thread while troubleshooting their own starting/charging issues.

Shumate1009

Sorry to bump up another old thread but my 85 m1009 just stopped charging on high side but not low.. also when my.electrical system fails my whole truck ****s off i was under the impression these trucks would run with electrical failure... any advice on what to do thanks guys!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks