• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

charging problems

405timothy

plese help, I have studied the tech manuals, but this problem is weird. had charging problems, rebuilt both alternators ,replaced batterys, alternaotrs show good output on multimeter. but are overcharging unless i unplug the feild coils. had help rebuilding alts from a tech w/ 20 years expeirience rebuilding alts and starters. any suggestions

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
plese help, I have studied the tech manuals, but this problem is weird. had charging problems, rebuilt both alternators ,replaced batterys, alternaotrs show good output on multimeter. but are overcharging unless i unplug the feild coils. had help rebuilding alts from a tech w/ 20 years expeirience rebuilding alts and starters. any suggestions
If the alternators are overcharging, I would say the votage regulators are bad. They should only put out ~14.5v.

Where the parts made in China or somewhere else. I have seen alot of China parts fail early in their life.

405timothy

not sure what overchage condition but it is boiling the acid in the rear battery, voltage tests good at 14.4 on drivers side and 29.2 on pasenger side but guage in truck pegs out and w/ feild coils hookd up, disconnected it seems to be where it should be, this has really got me stumped, my alternator guy says he has never seen anything like this, shouldn't be charging at all w/ coils disconnected

Barrman

SO, if you unplug the plugs on the side of the alternators and fire up the truck, they are still charging? That is single wire alternator stuff which requires some things inside to be changed around. You might need to pull them off and take them apart again. check each component against what the manuals say and figure out what is different or wrong. Start with the passenger alternator since it charges the rear battery.

You are getting that 29.2 by going from the front battery ground to the rear battery positive. Go ahead and just measure across the rear battery + and -. See what you get then.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks