• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

charging system upgrade and addition

graboid hunter

greetings,

I bought a 1983 M923 back in august and the last 2 months it has been giving me a hard time to start. I found out that my 2 6TMF 825CCA ordinance batteries are in poor health and need to be replaced.
I was thinking of replacing them with 2 1000CCA truck batteries and installing a charger system, heating oil dipstick, and a power strip. so I can plug in the dipstick, a phone charger and a GPS charger.
so my question is what is the best way of going about this?
which battery charger is the best? (I found a Noco G26000 Genius Battery Charger from powerstridebattery.com
how to incorporate a power strip into the mix?

I've checked up and down this site and I only found some thrends about cold starting, some different types of batteries and only oil pan heater vs. block heater.

nothing about an oil dipstick heater or about adding a charging system.

thanks,

mike (coast guard veteran)

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use a couple NAPA 1125CCA batteries in my Deuce. If I needed batteries for my Cummins I'd do the same. Not sure why anyone would want to put a power strip in a truck. Just plug a heater into a wall outlet and your chargers in the house. :)

You could put a 24v-12v power converter in and add a couple of lighter plugs in the dash to charge or run the GPS and cell.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remember, CCA is one thing, but reserve capacity is just as important(especially with a large displacement engine that requires extra time cranking when cold.

CCA= muscle

RC= stamina

You can't start them with one hard punch.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Plus they are suppose to have 4 batt and a working either system for cold starts.Mine has two batt and at 18 degrees it kills the batts.Had to hit it twice with the either before I totally kill bats.

rrrr

Agree with DH. I've had my 932 for two years and had to replace the batteries due to poor starting in cold weather. I went with 4x6TL batteries. It turns over great and starts even in cold weather now. The NHC250 needs the CCA to get started when its cold. The 4x6TL's will put out around 3200 CCA's to give you a reference.

I have a solargizer on mine but since its inside now I have a 24v battery tender on it.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good batteries are the key. I have 2 1125 CCA tractor batteries in a 813 and with the intake heater working properly, it starts every time. I am looking into a good block heater to ease the process. Any suggestions?
JC

rrrr

here's the part numbers from another post. I installed one in my truck and it works great.

Napa part number......6053139 or 30101......2 different manufactures​

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks