• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Charging system

Shooter308

Had a no start yesterday. Appears to be a charging issue to me. Reading through the TMs for testing the alternator. Has me checking for 28v on the alternator output . Which I'm only show 24.7v. certainly low. But following the TM it says if I don't see the 28v on the output i should replace cable 2(alternator output cable). Am I reading this wrong? Seems to me that the alternator output voltage is the concern and not that cable. I did also try adjusting the voltage and doesn't seem to help. I think I have a alternator issue.
TM 9-2320-209-20-2-1 pg: 25-47 and 25-48

HDN

Had a no start yesterday. Appears to be a charging issue to me. Reading through the TMs for testing the alternator. Has me checking for 28v on the alternator output . Which I'm only show 24.7v. certainly low. But following the TM it says if I don't see the 28v on the output i should replace cable 2(alternator output cable). Am I reading this wrong? Seems to me that the alternator output voltage is the concern and not that cable. I did also try adjusting the voltage and doesn't seem to help. I think I have a alternator issue.
TM 9-2320-209-20-2-1 pg: 25-47 and 25-48
24.7V is just the two batteries - I don't think you're charging at all. I suspect either alternator or voltage regulator, especially if you're not getting a response from the voltage regulator adjustment screw. Before pulling the alternator check for proper belt tension. If that's good, check the wires next per the snips I posted below. If those are also good, you should probably pull the alternator and get it tested at an automotive electrical shop that services alternators and starters. They may be able to isolate the problem to either the alternator or the voltage regulator. It's possible to replace just the voltage regulator, which would be less expensive than replacing the whole alternator!

Here are a couple snips from a 1980 M44 series manual that I have:

1662732466381.png
1662732481221.png

Last edited:

ToddJK

A quick easy test to see if the alternator works at all, once the truck is running, unhook the batteries. If the voltage meter crashes, no juice period from the alternator. I would say by looking at the gauge itself, the needle will be in the mid yellow to low yellow range on good batteries if the truck is running and alternator is not working, but not every gauge and alternator are the same. First suggestion works for all. My old alternator went out, not once but twice. First time was bad brushes,second time the voltage regulator went out. Just before the voltage regulator took a 💩, it over charged a lot and fried one of my military batteries.

Shooter308

Testing seemed to go pretty good. I had a good suspicion it was the alternator. I am still wondering why the TM said change the output wire if the output voltage was low? That part didn't make sense to me, unless I just didn't read it properly.

ToddJK

Testing seemed to go pretty good. I had a good suspicion it was the alternator. I am still wondering why the TM said change the output wire if the output voltage was low? That part didn't make sense to me, unless I just didn't read it properly.
My guess is because it's an easy fix and the last link between a faulty part and the alternator.

Reactions: HDN
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks