• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Chattering glow plug relay

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Ok, so I've been having an intermittent glow plug relay chattering problem. My 86 1009 would start normally, glow plug system functioning normally when cold, however, after the engine is warm with a brief shutdown/restart, the glow plug relay either would not function or would chatter for 30-60 seconds after starting, energizing the glow plugs, with a warm motor running. So I started troubleshooting the GP system, everything checked out but still the problem persisted. I went back to the schematics in the TM and focused on the GP temp switch/wiring. I found the insulation between the black and yellow wires at the plug was gone/deteriorated allowing the 2 wires to make intermittent contact and making the GP controller card cycle the GP relay rapidly. I repaired the insulation between the 2 wires on the temp sensor plug and my "chattering GP relay after a warm start" was gone. I'll post a pic of the plug/wiring tomorrow. Note, this is the plug on the drivers side at the rear of the motor next to the vac pump.

Ed

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I've checked 2 of my trucks, and both had the same issue with the insulation breaking down and the wires touching each other.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks