• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cheap 1" Impact

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well folks, a few weeks ago I bought one of the Harbor Freight 1" impacts. It was on sale for a C note and I figured what the heck. I have a 7 gallon air tank that I used to use to fill tires and the such. It so happens that the fitting is in 1/2". I took the valve assy off the tank and installed a 1/2" run tee and then put on 10' of 1/2'' air hose with a quick coupler on the end. Put the valve assy back on and a quick coupler for the 1/4" airline. I charge the tank with my regular air line and run the gun off the 1/2'' line. Had this all done a while ago but just yesterday got a Snap-On budd socket. For the heck of it today I pulled the tractor up to the garage and tried it out. The impact has 3 speeds in fwd and 3 in reverse. First speed barely moves the arbor. Speed 2 effortlessly knocked the lug nut off in less than a second. No need to try 3rd. I went around the truck and took a burp at each lug nut. Every one moved from the burp. Now I'm looking for a challenging lug nut to fight with.

SierraHotel

I still have three duals I havn't pulled yet if you want to...I guarnatee they will challenge you. My truck is held together with this great product, RustWeld (patent pending). I went to install the tailgate handles I got for my front bumper (steps) and all 4 bolts sheared off because the nuts were RustWelded in place. Now, you could say I'm getting a little too crazy with a breaker bar, but one was already sheared off and it looked like it had been done when it was still in the Army.
RustWeld, great stuff until you need to take something apart. But I've got the solution...NewBolt

JDToumanian

Now I'm looking for a challenging lug nut to fight with.
I wanted a wheel off one of the deuces at Walker's, so I pulled my deuce into the yard and used it to power my HF 1" impact. Those lug nuts were really stuck... I got the outer rears off after 10-20 seconds of impacting. I got some of the Budd nuts off, but the 1" impact is so powerful (the one I got is rated at 1,600 ft. lbs.) that on a couple of them, it broke the square right off the nut!

So, I figure anything that the 1" impact can't get off one way or another is going to require a torch.

Jon

I've got one of them 1" HF impacts as well. Blows off lug nuts like nobody's tomorrow. Thought of putting together a 7 gal air tank for road trips like yours Kenny. I was wondering if it was gonna hold enough air from the truck line, looks like it works so I'll continue with the project.

BUUURRRPP!!! :lol:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some pics. Note, the original air hose from the tank was replaced by the male quick connect to feed air. I tried using a clip on air chuck to feed the air through the schrader valve but that was too restricted. Last pic shows the difference in air lines. The shop line is 3/8'' with a bell adapter down to 1/4'' and the other is the half inch line.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I didn't want to starve mine for air AND because they were cheaper, I used the glad-hand connections for mine.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The gladhand connector works great but it's still only a 3/8'' line running back. If you find your gun starving for air, thats the cause. BTW folks, you don't have to buy an entire gladhand air line from the truckstop. A simple bare gladhand can work. They have pipethreaded ends, just bush it down and put a quickcoupler on it.

rizzo

Polverone said:
Kenny,
That's exactly what I had envisioned.
I'm all over this like a cheap suit.
too late, I finished mine an hour ago. seems to work good, but was unable to test on lugnuts because my socket has been borrowed.

thanks for the tips Kenny

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wanted the socket set but it wasn't on sale. I was going to wait but then the Snap-On budd socket showed up on eBay. By the time is was shipped it set me back $17. When the set goes on sale, I'll likely buy it. Other the being heavier than a sack of anvils, I like the gun alot.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Ive used mine a couple of times now without an additional tank or the proper size hose. It does the job but would definately benifit from the additional tank set up, thats next on my project list. That impact coupled with the air assist bottle jack makes changing the tires a breeze! I keep them both in my drivers side tool box along with the socket set from HF, 50' hose, the 1" ratchet/socket combo and a few other misc tools pretty much fills up the box.

bottleworks

My HF 1" works great. The only issue with it is its weight. After pulling off a few tires, my back is killing me! If only I had a lift that could handle a Deuce!...Wouldn't have to bend over.

littlebob

I have one in my arsenal too. I tried to take off my front lug nuts off on the Deuce with a breaker bar and a 5' pipe and couldn't budge them.
I probably could have jumped on it and broke them off, but I'm not looking for anymore work than I already have. They're not always on sale for$99.00 at the local stores, When I first bought my Deuce a year ago I looked at them and they were much more. I waited and bought it when it went on sale.
littlebob

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks