• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cheap 5-ton tractors in VA

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Man I am on it, thanks I really need a 5 ton tractor to tow the M 127 and they look like doable projects and not too far from home thanks again for the linke I called right away

rmgill

Doh, I've been eyeing these for my WWII group. We've got two 7 ton armored cars coming to the US this summer we'll need some way to move them around and a long and short wheel base 5ton semi tractors would be ideal.

jeli

RE: Re: RE: Cheap 5-ton tractors in VA

The M139 looks like it has a Fuller or Rockwell shifter in it. It's set way back against the seat. Doesn't look like a std 5 speed.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

I got out to the site on Friday and the bridge truck conversion was already sold to an old friend of the owner. Yes it has a 10 speed Fuller conversion in it not done by the present owner. I would have taken that truck if it was not but now am in contract to buy the 1957 M 52. It has 18K on it and is an International built in Chicago. Quite a bit of rust but nothing a needle gun and a few nice days won't fix. The gas engine in it is huge and I am quite sure the milage in driving it will be rather poor but I am not good enough at backing my M 127 with the dolly I built so the tractor is coming to the stable soon as the paperwork can be completed. I may bring it to Aberdeen instead of the duece if it is ready. The fellow is really a nice Virginia gentleman and has agreed to put serviceable tires and batteries in it for the sale. I am quite excited as this should be my last truck for quite a while although the 900 series ones in Ohio sure look tempting .I will post picutures in this thread when the deal is done

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Congratulations! Can't wait to see the pics. Old gassers are cool...

surpdlr

Re: RE: Re: RE: Cheap 5-ton tractors in VA

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
I would have taken that truck if it was not but now am in contract to buy the 1957 M 52. It has 18K on it and is an International built in Chicago. The gas engine in it is huge and I am quite sure the milage in driving it will be rather poor but I am not good enough at backing my M 127 with the dolly I built so the tractor is coming to the stable soon as the paperwork can be completed.
This can be your first parts purchase : http://www.smalllinks.com/ZR
(not mine). It is the front wiring harness for a gas 5 ton.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Cheap 5-ton tractors in VA

Congrats David! Keep us posted on your progress. It looks like a cool truck and that great big gasser should be a smooth running powerplant. Quiet at idle too.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

Yup the trucks are pretty sweet and the site is a real collection of military vehicles next time you come up you should stop they have lots of armor. I am going to make the gasser work and if it doesn't I will find a good CAT to put in there.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

I have been going out to the museum at least once a week to work on the truck and right now the one saddle tank is on the back rack of my Suburban. I am planning on using a newer tank to get it home. The issue I am facing with the saddle tanks is they have 50 years of crud in them and I am trying to find the best way to clean the inside of them. I have been told use drain cleaner but I am thinking that something that dissolves gasoline residue would be better. I am planning on scraping up most of the junk and then want a chemical cleaning to bring it back to a servicable state. Any ideas on what to use are appriated .

I promise I will post pictures to this when I next get home.

CGarbee

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Cheap 5-ton tractors in VA

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
The issue I am facing with the saddle tanks is they have 50 years of crud in them and I am trying to find the best way to clean the inside of them. I have been told use drain cleaner but I am thinking that something that dissolves gasoline residue would be better.
I just take my older tanks over to a buddy who runs a radiator shop and have him tank them... Then I have him epoxy coat them inside and out...

I've heard that the lye based drain cleaners work well, but it is so easy to have Woody tank them for me that I've never tried anything else.

Good luck.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Cheap 5-ton tractors in VA

David:
A 4 to 1 solution of muratic acid and water works really well if you are not in a big hurry. I use it on jerry cans all the time, it will take several days but it will be shiny when you are done. You only need enough solution to cover the bottom of the tank, just roll the tank as each surface is cleaned to have the solution cover it.
James G.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Cheap 5-ton tractors in VA

Sounds like you are making some progress. When do you hope to bring it home, David?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks