• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cheap and Easy Winter Grill Cover for my CUCV

ssdvc

Cash is tight and I am picking and choosing things needed for the truck, all the time looking for cost effective ideas/things to use as substitutes. Since I can't afford that sweet canvas winter cover for my 09, I took a page out of the VW TDI forum and did the following.

It may not be as pretty as a canvas cover, but it only cost me a total of $6.00. I used the 3/4" pipe insulation package (4 x 36", slit, but not fully split) from HD and a package of 50 8" black tie wraps from WalMart. I used all 4 pieces in the package and 24 8" tie wraps. It still leaves a little space on the right and left of the opening, but the left (passenger side) has some sheet metal behind the grill, so although airflow is significantly cut back, there will still hopefully be enough so she doesn't get too hot. I don't think it looks too bad and you really have to look to see the insulation. I hope it works.

I will update in a week to let everyone know if she heats up any faster (and doesn't overheat). :popcorn:

Attachments

Last edited:

BIG_RED

I use perforated plastic and zip ties.. Essentially "plastic cardboard" so that I can wash it without it turning to mush. Cost like $6 for 24"X48". Got it in black and cut it to fit grill - looks ok. OP's pipe insulation looks cool.

What I like about this weather front is that is case of a a brake down you have a warm dry peace of card board to lay on .

jag7720

I use the cardboard box that is used to hold the 5 gallon veggie oil jugs. Open it up and cut the bottom flaps off and it fits very well with the top flaps folded over the top of the grill and held in place by the hood.... I get a new one each year.... free is a good price

ssdvc

What I like about my solution is that you can remove/reinstall (as long as you don't cut the tie wraps) each piece individually if it gets warmer out or your truck gets a little too hot. Plus, you can reuse the pipe insulation year after year, just add tie wraps as necessary 2cents.

The price was right and it makes the truck a little warmer as mother nature gets a little bit colder.:beer::beer: