• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cheap LMTV's no more

scottmandu

I've been looking at auction prices on our favorite LMTV auction site and prices are going up and up looks like. Nothing worthy of fixing has sold for less than $5K in the Continental USA. Some have even gone for the teens and twenties! Is now the time to sell?

Lmtv772

Banned
I've been looking at auction prices on our favorite LMTV auction site and prices are going up and up looks like. Nothing worthy of fixing has sold for less than $5K in the Continental USA. Some have even gone for the teens and twenties! Is now the time to sell?
The low prices were obviously not going to last. The LMTV are gaining popularity and DoD has stopped sold the surplus vehicles off , for the most part. Now that supply dries up, the prices will rise.
Sell whenever you feel it to fit your needs.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The lmtv does appear to be pretty capable for what it is. GP has a very wide international audience. And its income tax time. You cant make any real interest keeping your money in the bank so why not spend it on something cool that really shouldn't drop in value too much. I think bidders get caught up in the moment and dont realize what its going to cost them with auction fee, tax and transport also.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And you can forget about an A1 unless you've got deep pockets. Surprising what the trucks going through KS are bringing. GP should ship everything there to maximize profits if they're going to sell trucks in the $25k up range.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I think the majority of the lmtvs sold off have been east coast Carolinas Georgia area. Less volume out west brings higher prices. You never know what the future will bring. A purge of lmtvs like the Kansas M939 purge would bring prices down real fast.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DanM7890 got his airdrop 1081 for a song. Ya'll need to look harder at the dead trucks.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The low prices were obviously not going to last. The LMTV are gaining popularity and DoD has stopped sold them.
That's a very strong statement. What makes you think the DoD has ran out of surplus lmtvs? My assessment says this is the merest trickle before the floodgates open and that we'll see a price curve similar to what we've seen with the deuces and m939series 5tons : there'll come a day when you can drive one home for $2k or less.

Or are you privy to information that we are not?

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a very strong statement. What makes you think the DoD has ran out of surplus lmtvs? My assessment says this is the merest trickle before the floodgates open and that we'll see a price curve similar to what we've seen with the deuces and m939series 5tons : there'll come a day when you can drive one home for $2k or less.

I can't help but agree with this. We get a drop in the bucket here and there and when those dry up the misconception is that it's the end when really it hasn't even begun. Heck, when I was at my local GSA VFD equipment conversion facility they had 30 LMTVs alone waiting to be repurposed into firetrucks and the manager said they were expected to take on another 120 within the year despite no VFDs wanting them due to high maintenance and roll over hazards. It's only a matter of time..

RobertoGatos

Steel Soldiers Supporter

This

Ukraine Train

I can't help but agree with this. We get a drop in the bucket here and there and when those dry up the misconception is that it's the end when really it hasn't even begun. Heck, when I was at my local GSA VFD equipment conversion facility they had 30 LMTVs alone waiting to be repurposed into firetrucks and the manager said they were expected to take on another 120 within the year despite no VFDs wanting them due to high maintenance and roll over hazards. It's only a matter of time..
Slightly off topic, but the GSA provides fire fighting conversions for these? Do they actually outfit trucks or just provide the excess inventory for departments to do it?

Lmtv772

Banned

That day is a pipe dream ,the same way as the $50 crate jeeps are.
There are several threads on why the DoD is going to limit sales. Do a search , I am not going into that in detail.

dk8019

There were days of $2k 939 trucks in running condition, and days of $1k M35s as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see it again with the LMTVs.

Lmtv772

Banned
There were days of $2k 939 trucks in running condition, and days of $1k M35s as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see it again with the LMTVs.
Well if that day comes up again , I'll buy everyone of these trucks, and have the monopoly. *passes the pipe.

Ukraine Train

What agency is responsible for deciding what trucks gets sold? I'm assuming DoD? Then GSA sells it off? I wonder if a freedom of information act inquiry would reveal what will be disposed of in the next couple years.

Lmtv772

Banned
I sincerely doubt that the DoD would share that information, and I also doubt they would fall under the freedom of information act. Apart from that, the status of what equipment is released changes all the time, as the mission changes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks