• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cheap starter problems

87silverado

i bought a cheap ebay starter in july that lasted about 2 months. had them send me a new one under warrenty. that one went out a week ago. got another under warrenty and that one started the blazer 3 times before it went out and left me stranded.

so it will be going back and getting my money back.

my question is has anybody had luck with other cheap ebay starters. mine came from diesel performance i believe.

i cant find any oem starters new or used around.
i cant even find an oem solenoid witch is what keeps going out on the cheepies

cucvrus

Are these the direct drive starters or the gear reduction starters? I have local guy that makes the direct drive starters. They hold up well for me. I just changed one that I had on a truck for 8 years. I sprayed magic spray in it when I was at -5 and I was by myself and it kicked back. That wiped out the clutch in the drive and it would not stay engaged for more then 3 - 4 revolutions. The truck started that day. My Son changed the starter in 5 degree weather at the wood pile laying on the ground on cardboard the next day. All has been well since that. You should be able to find a local re-builder to build a good starter for you. If not PM me and I will get you a contact. He builds them and other starters for the local NG base.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please use capitalization, as the rules request.

Are the starters you are using 24 volt?

goldneagle

I have a gear reduction starter that i bought on AMAZON.com. Its worked it's ass off for me when i had fuel issues with the truck. Still works great.

87silverado

So i pulled the starter out and tested it on the bench. If i put power to the main stud and the ignition stud it just pops it out and doesnt spin. If i put power to the main stud and the one with the strap on it going to the starter body it spins.

Im guessing the solenoid isnt sending power to the spin side of the starter

acesneights1

This may sting a bit but the answer is in your first post.."Cheap eBay starters"
Try using a reputable local re builder. Cheap is not good.It usually equates to cheap parts or poor quality work or both.

maxpowercheck

Here we go. My 1986 M1028 has been reliable for 9 years. Then it had starter issues. Noticed the negative battery cable from forward battery was very hot after each start attempt. I replaced the starter, both batteries. I cleaned both bus bars, checked all battery cables and cleaned. All 4 battery clamps had been replaced before and look solid. I removed and cleaned the main engine ground stud, sanded to bare metal and reinstalled wires. Did same to forward battery frame grounding points. Turn key and same click. No start. Verified starter solenoid is engaging by sound and feel. Now burned the starter relay. Replaced it and with an AC40 and burned it. Wires getting hot from relay now. Checked voltages at relay. All ok and ignition switch provides 12 volts when key turned to start. I did jump the relay's 24v wires to bypass the relay. I heard the starter solenoid clicking but no starter turn. The new starter is aftermarket, gear reduction from Amazon. 2 year warranty. I did not bench test the new starter. I did test my old OEM starter, the solenoid engages but it doesn't spin. I have another old OEM starter which does test ok. I didn't install it because it looked rough and I wanted something newer. Our local electrical shop told me they can't get some parts to do a rebuild if the armature, etc is bad. Said they would use my two starters for parts to rebuild one for $200....So, I am thinking of removing the new starter to test it. How can I verify if a fusible link is bad? Where are they? And what should be my next course of action? I did get the Doghead relay at O'Reilly's and haven't done the mod yet but will. Any advice is welcome. This truck is used in parades, hauls furniture, you name it. 22k miles on it. Wiring looks just fine. It was an M1031 convert to M1028 radio truck. You can see where the engine compartment governor unit was removed.

stationjj

I purchased a 24 volt starter off Ebay from DB Electric as a backup. It has no tag other than 'Made in China'

I purchased it years ago before I got schooled on CUCV starters on SS. I want to find an original CUCV starter and do a rebuild.

I hope starter will hold up when needed? Anyone used DB Electric Starters?

stationjj

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks