• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Check List Before buying M939 variant trucks.

HASSON1911

Hey guys as some may know I'm going to check a M923 and a M925A2 out this tues, just doing a little double checking for things to look for on these trucks before purchasing one. So I thought why not start a thread to help others since there seems to be a surplus right now on GL. As I know I'm probably not the first who started out with a deuce and want something bigger, but have never seen on quite like these guys. Sure I have seen big semis, but not like these boys. So Im starting a list of what I will be checking out when I go down there, if you feel that I have missed something or have a secret spot to check your more than welcomed to post.

P.S. I have spen an hour on google looking for something such as this with no luck feel free to advise me to a current thread if one exist and this one can be taken donw. Thanks- Jake

1. Tie rod ends, for excessive play
2. air leaks / hyd. leaks
3. driveshafts crosses and u-joints
4. leaking wheel seals
5. gear lube leaking from input shaft and output shaft on drive axles
6. lights turn signals brakes four way flashers
7. horn and wipers
8. Properly adjusted air brake, check for over camming
9. check ctis

engine compartment
10. fluid levels
11. belts for tension and wear
12. oil leaks around heads
13. fuel leak around IP
14. Air electrical gauges
15. Make sure it keeps air in accordance to MN DOT standards.

quickfarms

You forgot the tires

Basically we do a pre trip inspection and cola test. Pick up a CDL hand book and it is explained there.

And one thing you need to look at is weather your state will require you to have a CDL to drive a five ton since it has a GVW over 26000 lbs

Last edited:

HASSON1911

Yes I have seen those in cdl books. Do these Tires secondary stems for checking pressure. I guess I assumed with the ctis that if that was working and the tires "sounded" good.

HASSON1911

I've heard states don't require a CDL if its not licensed as commercial have you checked in on this for MN if not Ill call tomorrow and report back.

Bighurt

Look at your drivers license, it probably states the weight you can operate.

Commercial or not your license covers vehicles based on GVWR.

You can operate a 5 ton as long as it's registered under 26000. Doesn't do much for payload capacity though, but then most people don't use them other than as a DD anyways.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found out the hard way with a ticket, it doesn't matter how it is used if it is over 26,000 GVWR it requires a CDL. If it is for personal use you just don't need a health card or DOT number.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can operate a 5 ton as long as it's registered under 26000. Doesn't do much for payload capacity though, but then most people don't use them other than as a DD anyways.
This is not true, they look at what it is rated for by the manufacturer not what you rate it at.

Bighurt

This is not true, they look at what it is rated for by the manufacturer not what you rate it at.
Not in every state, in fact I can't recall the last time an officer looked at the tag on my F350. License and registration, unless something is fishy, they don't look at much else.

Jesse6325

I just test drove a 5 ton at a local used car dealership here in Tx, The salesman and I had a long talk about it. If I remember correctly you can register it at it's empty weight (22,000 LBS) BUT! you still need the air brake endorsement for any vehicle with air brakes.
Fortunatly I still have my full CDL.
Post accident is really not the time to find out you don't have the proper licence. Trust me on that one.

Sephirothq

The 900 series is a bit sticky as compared to the m35 series. You are over 26,000 GVW and the truck has air brakes. It also drives alot different then a smaller vehicle. The brakes are a bit touchy and do not respond like hydraulic brakes do. Making sure they are in adjustment is also very important. You need a little extra training and knowledge to operate these trucks especially the 900 series of truck.

Bighurt

I don't see how an F350 could be over 26,000 gvw
Mines not I was just stating an officer never checks the tag. My RV weighs over 13 fully loaded and it's not a big one. The point is there is a fair amount of the public that is in violation of their license and don't even know it because the goverement doesn't make it easy to know.

In ND and many states you can register the vehicle at empty weight, air brakes are a endorsement in many cases and not a class. In ND a Class A comes default with air brakes and manual transmission. If you don't take the air brakes test or vehicle test with a manual. You have an exemption for the two.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks