• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Check list for buying a 939 series 5 ton.Add your info!

tbar123

I have noticed for some time that there has been people asking about this and that about purchasing a 5 ton. I thought that a check list for newbies would be a great place for them to find out about questions to ask, things to check, and just general info on any 5 ton. I once was a newbie also and am still very green in a lot of aspects of owning a 5 ton.

My advice would be to run the truck for at least 10 miles ( where applicable) , check oil,trans fluid, and battery before start. If the truck needs jump started. Why are the batteries dead, a cold snap, trucks been sitting for a period of time, or alternator not charging properly. Is the ABS light on continuously after the truck starts? The first truck I looked at, the fella told me it's suppose to stay on. Well I knew that was wrong.

So please add your input for the future MV hobbyist!

catskillpond

After you buy:
My 3 cents never take the word of the seller not that he is not honest. Put the vehicle on a flatbed get it home drain every fluid in the vehicle and refill. Read the 10 manual and then be ready to fix things. Start with the mechanical and go from there. Good Luck!!! This site I feel is one of the best forums going and very well run. [as long as you use proper grammar and punctuation]

P.S. My Advise pull all the wheels before you drive it check the bearings seals and wheel cylinders [for us ole timers] this will give you a look at how pm was done. Do not be fooled by pulling one axle and seeing fresh grease spread all over the outer nut. While your in there replace all the seals and repack it will give you peace of mind.

Last edited:

lindsey97

Get a CDL.

Buy more insurance than the minimum requirement for personal use.

Learn about the braking system and learn to do a pre-trip walkaround before driving each time.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good point, but I'd phrase it "Figure out the licensing, insurance and registration for your situation."

And add: Figure out where you're gonna park it.

Know the local price of common upgrades / parts so when you find one "missing" something you want you can figure out what that means.

Look for rust under the floor mat.
Check date codes on the tires.
Understand what parts / tools it comes with. Compare to the list of stuff you'll want before you leave the house for any trip.
Read the TM.

tbar123

I almost forgot the most important thing. I know from experience. Check with your city,village ,or HOA if your even allowed to park the truck on your property.

tbar123

10 miles the tires would not even be warm. 50 mile shake down.
I completely agree with you. However most places that a person would purchase a MV from, your lucky to get 10!
I would also like to add, check the torque rods. Theres actually a pretty informative video on youtube for checking them. Also A person wanting to buy a 5 ton should also to a brake check.Put the truck in gear with the parking brake applied and see if the truck rolls. If it does adjust the parking brake, and if that doesn't correct the problem then you know you have a very expensive brake job to do.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks