• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Check out my new 5-ton!....errr 7.5-ton!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ha, yeah right. I did spot this one while cruising by the Seabee base in Norfolk today and managed to snap a photo without wrecking. Pretty sweet new tractor! Anyone know what it is?

Subject title upgraded :lol:

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Check out my new 5-ton!

Hope its got air bags in the back. Tires and top of 5th wheel are about the same.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Check out my new 5-ton!

This will be surplus in about 10 years. Look forward to it! Actually it's a 7.5 ton truck. They are big, I see them driving around Quantico sometimes...

Dieselsmoke

RE: This site should keep you busy for awhile.

Mk31 MTVR, don't remember if it has airbags in the rear, but it DOES have REAR STEERING!! Got to check them out at Pt Hueneme.

M1075

RE: Re: RE: Check out my new 5-ton!

The MVTRs are sweet! Those tires are the 16R20s, just like on the HEMTT, PLS, and HET. A posted some pics a while back of some that Pierce sold as fire trucks. They are super nice, but I wouldn't expect any surplus for 30+ years (although there was a wrecked/burnt one on ebay recently). They will liikely be rebuilt under the reset program before they make it to you or me.

Travver797

Re: RE: Check out my new 5-ton!

davesgmc said:
dma251 said:
Anyone know what color that is?

I am going to go out on a limb here, But i think the colors is green?
I thought about writing the same thing for a brief moment before common sense came back to me.

You can explore the Oshkosh website and check out their product demonstration videos for the different vehicles they manufacture. You can see in the MTVR video that the rear suspension is indeed independent and not air-ride. If you view the HET video they don't show the suspension like they do with the MTVR but they do tell you that it is an air-ride suspension. I'll also step out on a limb here and postulate that since the cargo trucks have IRS that the tractors will also.

http://www.oshkoshtruck.com/defense/products~mtvr~home.cfm

Copyright distribution laws, pff! I'm advertising for these guys, I should get paid!

jeli

I saw them a few years ago at Ft. McCoy WI. Oshkosh must have been doing shake down runs there. Nothing like running tank trails all day looking for mud holes to hit.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Anyone have any experience behind the wheel of one of these trucks. I am curious to know how well they ride unloaded and also how well the rear steer works.

Travver797

I don't believe the MTVR, the 7 ton that we're talking about, has rear steering. In their product video they said only coil sprung independent suspension all the way around and a central tire inflation system. The HET, on the other hand, does have air ride suspension and rear steer: http://www.oshkoshtruck.com/defense/products~het~home.cfm You can actually see it in the video, man I love videos.

The MTVR (7 ton) everyone is talking about here certainly is nice but if I could pick one, no if(s) and(s) or but(s), I'd much rather have the HET plus the tank hauler trailer. Never mind what I'd do with it, the only problem I have is where would I put it?

M1075

I was surprised by the comment of the rear steering too, so I checked it out at www.oshkoshtruck.com. After looking through the brochure, it appears the tractor variant does have rear steering. There is even a pic. Check it out!

Travver797

Hmmm... I guess this makes the second time in my life that I've been wrong. M1075, the link you provided didn't work out for me but I did get to the brochure and see the pic you were referring to: http://www.oshkoshtruck.com/pdf/Oshkosh_MTVR_brochure05.pdf
Go to page eight for the big picture and page nine for specs on the tractor.

So, I stand corrected and see the error of once again not completely researching things before I start making statements.

Suspension: Oshkosh TAK-4™ independent suspension system,
hydro-pneumatic rear independent suspension

Steering: All wheel mechanical steer
R.H. Sheppard® hydraulic master and slave gears; Front axle
and rear tandem
Front Steering gear ratio: 19:1
Front/Rear overall ratio: 1.6:1

I'm also sure that everyone is enjoying more power with an automatic trans too:
Engine: Caterpillar®, C-12 electronic control, ADEM™ III,
425 HP @ 1800 RPM, 1550 ft-lb @1200 RPM

Transmission: Allison HD 4070P, automatic electronic control,
WTEC III