• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Check out my new 5-ton!....errr 7.5-ton!

NEIOWA

Re: RE: Re: RE: Check out my new 5-ton!

M1075 said:
I was surprised by the comment of the rear steering too, so I checked it out at www.oshkoshtruck.com. After looking through the brochure, it appears the tractor variant does have rear steering. There is even a pic. Check it out!
I'm surprised, had not read that but you're correct. Not sure what rear steer on a 6x6 gains you when you have a 40' semi trailer behind you.

A good photo
http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/images/LAND_MTVR_Tractor_w_Flatbed_Trailer_lg.jpg

M1075

Tractor variants normally have shorter wheelbases to make sharper turns to offset the trailer turning radius. I looked through the MVTR brochure again and noticed that there are basically 2 wheel base variants, 184" and 216" (there are others for the LHS models). It looks like the rear steering reduces turning diameter of 184" wheelbase from 85.4' to 60'. Long wheel base variants have turning diameter of 102'.

I have seen those MVTR wildland engines. Oh, to have one of those! A few departments in the NW have them (I have posted pics here before).

Capt.Marion

RE: Re: RE: Check out my new 5-ton!

its a marine-corps logistics and supply division Oshkosh. Yeah, I saw that at the Rome air show too, jkelly. They look fair pretty but nothing beats the ole '37, deuce, or M813A1

oh god, the Oshkosh site has a pictures section. I now have a new desktop picture!