• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Check out my rear end.....

1956_4x4

The only thing I've found says a D70, but they didn't provide anything that would allow one to verify it. Like mentioned above, I'd look for the "D60" or "D70" on the housing.

Smitty

1stDeuce

Yeah, that's a D70. The 60 housing isn't quite so wide. You'll find a nice "D70" mark on the pig somewhwere near a side web. I think GM put the D70 in dually trucks with huge GVW's, where the 14 bolt wasn't heavy enough. Dodge used them in duallys forever too.

I like the overload shocks... Probably good for almost 500 lb of extra carrying capacity... :) Actually, looks like the factory springs are pretty squashed. Wonder what they made this poor truck carry!
C

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 70 has a taller diff cover profile for sure. That is certainly a 70. Check that right lower web, you should se "70" cast into it. You got a real nice truck there Ed

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks to be the correct 70HD with 3.5" tubes. 70HD should be cast into that lower right web. No overload springs or swaybar, though? Does it have a locker in it?

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thanks Kenny!

No, the overload springs are gone but the brackets on the frame are there....

Did these, A3's, come with a sway bar?

It has dual dual tanks.....add on?

It also has extra springs in the front that make the negative arch springs almost flat across.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The A2/A3 should have a rear swaybar, but, given the overload springs are gone, they might have just left it off, too. Or, they might have converted it using spare parts. They've been known to do that as well.

Dual tanks is an add-on. A NICE add-on, I might add!

BobM

FMJ said:
BobM said:
More pics please!
I see it DID fit on your trailer. :D
All I have online now are here:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index....pic&t=26181&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20
Wow, you are quick! I just read your other thread and saw the pics. I came over here to edit my post and you had already replied.
I love your truck and am jealous. I hope it is as good as it looks 'cause it sure looks great.

Not to sidetrack the thread, but where is "The Hole In The Wall"?

AJMBLAZER

1stDeuce said:
Yeah, that's a D70. The 60 housing isn't quite so wide. You'll find a nice "D70" mark on the pig somewhwere near a side web. I think GM put the D70 in dually trucks with huge GVW's, where the 14 bolt wasn't heavy enough. Dodge used them in duallys forever too.
GM used the Dana 70 in the 73-91 body style duallies. However the chassis cab trucks with the narrower duallie setup got a regular 14FF and when the new 88+ IFS body style started GM went entirely over to the 14FF under all the 1 ton trucks.
Strength wasn't an issue, more like they didn't want to have another 14FF variant back in the 70's when they were first making them.

I like the overload shocks... Probably good for almost 500 lb of extra carrying capacity... :) Actually, looks like the factory springs are pretty squashed. Wonder what they made this poor truck carry!
C
Ugh...always remember those "overload shocks" mount up just like normal shocks so their limiting factor is the mounts. Don't believe all the hype. Best place for those is the dumpster to be replaced with some good nitrogen shocks. Springs carry weight, shocks just dampen and control suspension movement.