• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Check Valve for Lift Pump?

donalloy1

All,

Have seen mention of installing a Check Valve around Lift Pump to prevent Fuel from going back to Tank which can lead to air in system to IP?

Questions:

- Is this a good thing to do?

- Where do you install?

- What Part Number do we use?

- Will replaceing Lift Pump solve?

Fresh IP on my M1009 and when cold starting in morning she starts right up then acts like she gets air? Then she dies. After one or two cold start sequences then she starts back up relunctantly.

Runs like a top to work. Starts back up at Lunch time and when I stop in Afternoon without a hitch! Runs like a top all the way home again.

Go out in Morning and same as above?

This could be fun! Working Starter harder than I should have to. Other than that. Not to concerned. Only a $ 300 Starter!

All input would be appreciated. DMLII sends

donalloy1

This thread would be applicable ; http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?99241-cold-start/page3. There already is a check valve in your lift pump. Did you test it for output? If you are stumped for a solution, I used this band aid fix until I got my new fuel filter base; drill a very small hole right through your fuel cap.
Hasdrubal, appreciate your response! Will test lift pump for output. Pretty sure thats where problem is? If I drill hole in cap won't I need replacement after replacing lift pump if needed?

Hasdrubal

Got tired of bleeding injectors. I drilled a hole hole in my cap in 2006, its still there, haven't noticed any adverse effects. Since then, I have of course replaced filter base and fuel lines which were leaking. You can also just crack the cap at the end of the day and release vacuum.

Get an AC Delco lift pump. Don't get a Carter, they are poorly made !*^)@# with a pathetic life span.

Last edited:

donalloy1

Got tired of bleeding injectors. I drilled a hole hole in my cap in 2006, its still there, haven't noticed any adverse effects. Since then, I have of course replaced filter base and fuel lines which were leaking. You can also just crack the cap at the end of the day and release vacuum.

Get an AC Delco lift pump. Don't get a Carter, they are poorly made !*^)@# with a pathetic life span.
Thanks for follow up! Will apply your words of wisdom. DMLII sends...

donalloy1

Hasdrubal, there has been a few times since being here that I was very thankful for advice from fellow SSer's. This is one one of those for sure!

Removed Fill Cap last night after returning home. Waited for a few minutes for heck of it and put Cap back in position. Went out to Cold Start in Morning and guess what? No air in system. No restart with hard cranking to get fuel back to IP. Want to give you a BIG HUG! Well, that might not be something you would appreciate but I had to tell you anyway.

Will chase after Ac Delco Lift Pump and maybe even do Hasdrubal Fuel Cap Mod. Warming up to that approach more I think about it.

Thanks again for help, DMLII sends respectfully

donalloy1

You might want to look into installing an electric pump. There are a few threads around here on the subject.
MarcusOReallyus, want to keep O9 as OEM as possible. Really want to avoid Mods like that. I know probably better but not finished product I am after. May need to some day? For now I will replace what I can as needed w/OEM and where I cannot will adjust and overcome!

Hasdrubal

Glad to be of help. Found SS in 2006 after owning my M1009 for 1 1/2 years. Even thou I knew 2 CUCV mechanically inclined guys up here, this site was an invaluable source of information and quick access to knowledgeable members advice. I've got an enourmous amount of info I've gleamed from these threads saved as notepads in a folder for quick reference.

The drilled cap is a just an ad-hoc workaround, you still have an air in fuel system issue..probably your filter base. Cracking your cap, is instantaneous..you dont have to wait a few minutes, just put it right back on. You should have heard an audible air hiss doing it. I did it for a week until one night I forgot. Some other member suggested drilling the small hole. Probably drove it like that for another 3 years until I sourced the new filter base. Starting had become a litle harder by the end, not much, just an extra few seconds cranking. Now its instantaneous.

donalloy1

Glad to be of help. Found SS in 2006 after owning my M1009 for 1 1/2 years. Even thou I knew 2 CUCV mechanically inclined guys up here, this site was an invaluable source of information and quick access to knowledgeable members advice. I've got an enourmous amount of info I've gleamed from these threads saved as notepads in a folder for quick reference.

The drilled cap is a just an ad-hoc workaround, you still have an air in fuel system issue..probably your filter base. Cracking your cap, is instantaneous..you dont have to wait a few minutes, just put it right back on. You should have heard an audible air hiss doing it. I did it for a week until one night I forgot. Some other member suggested drilling the small hole. Probably drove it like that for another 3 years until I sourced the new filter base. Starting had become a litle harder by the end, not much, just an extra few seconds cranking. Now its instantaneous.
I know this is a Bandaid. Will dive in deeper when things warm up a little.

Was way ahead of you on listening for air release. Could not hear a release. Six years in Corps though really put a hurt on my ears!

Will start with Lift pump and Filter Base first and work my way Aft.

When I replaced IP recently dumped all hoses directly involved with it. Did not dump those on Lift Pump and Injectors though. Slowly working my way completely through vehicle.

Thanks again for help! DMLII sends respectfully

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks