• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Check your battery cables!!!

connectingbar

I have been out of town working alot and havent been able to fool with my deuce or drive it in @ 2 months.

Today I wanted to take her out for a spin and when I hit the starter button I saw a arc flash coming from the battery box .

I opened the box and found the jumper between the 2 batt's had one loose connection that fried and melted the post on the batt.

With how these trucks vibrate, check these cables as well as your short driveshaft bolts.

Now I think this burnt out the selonoid or starter ( I put the 2 origional govt batts in and when I hit the button all I hear is a click)

:cry:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also like to remove the ground lead from the frame rail and wire brush then reinstall. Some of the ground lines have been on there a long time.

connectingbar

The old batteries are fully charged. I will check and clean ground at the frame then on to the starter. The relay is brand new 1 year ago so thats why I am thinking the starter.

Thanks for the info guys

Oldfart

Arcing would take place at a point of loose connection. If the connection was solid, it would not have arced. It is possible there is another loose or corroded connection such as ground or starter terminal that will not carry sufficient current to close the solenoid or turn the starter. OR something has gone bad in the starter/solenoid assembly.

hof3414

Had the same thing happen the day I bought my truck. Put 2 new walmart batteries in but old timer I bought it off had already melted part of battery terminal connector. Truck started and drove it home must have come loose on drive home though. When I started her back up it arced and melted battery post. Had to use a block of wood to hold it tight against what was left of battery post to get her started. Then took battery back to wally world and they were happy to give me a new one. Also made sure to add new battery terminal connections with new battery. Arc scared me pretty good and my buddy jumped out of passenger seat when smoke came through the floor. Also a side note bout working on these trucks if for some reason you don't have batteries disconnected make sure to remove watches, rings, jewelery. I was working at a guys house who used to work on these trucks and he said fella had a wedding ring on it arced against something and burned most of the way through his finger.

connectingbar

I took the starter out and apart this morning and did a good cleaning of all electrical contacts and brush contacts. Put it back in and bingo! she fired up and very quickly. The inside of the starter was gummed up quite a bit with oil. When I got the truck from GL a few years ago I replaced the turbo clamp and gasket because they were toast and making a mess. I never thought about the starter being oiled.

Thanks Guys[thumbzup]

Westex

Been reading everything I can find on hard starting, as my deuce has following symptoms: I go to start and when I hit the red button, it turns maybe one fourth of a cranshaft revolution and stops. I hit it a second, usually a third time and it finally spins fast and fires over. I went over all of my connections at the battery and cleaned them. Also took off the hot lead from the battery to the starter and cleaned it. Same thing, no difference. Is it most likely the starter, or could it be the solenoid located above the starter. I don't think it is my batteries because they can spin the engine fine once I get over the first few humps. Can the red start button be disassembled and cleaned? Perplexed.

Westex

Perplexed
Check each bat for voltage. Clean also ground to frame. If thats good
it is likely your selinoid, copper plate inside cap, easy fix, flip it.
Is this the solenoid on the starter, or the one above the starter bolted to the block. (I may be confused on the terminology somewhat). The actual starter motor has what I would call a solenoid actuator on top of it. Is this where the copper plate is?

Mitymac

Yes it sits atop starter. Disconnect bats. Remove cover. do not let studs turn when removing nuts from plastic cover.
It is behind cap must be fried that why it works after several atemps. File face smooth or flip it. Your lugs might be needing a file also. You will see when inside.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks