• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Check your VENTS!!

BugEyeBear

I recently acquired a '71 M35A2 that had a leaky axle at the fwd-tandem axle.
We replaced the seals, repacked the bearings & all seems fine now. :grin:

A few days later I checked my axle vents & 2 of the 3 appeared to be somewhat clogged.
-The front axle vent seemed to "hiss" after I did the "spin & bounce".
-The middle axle (fwd tandem) vent seemed to be quite clogged and at first resisted spinning.
-The rear-most axle (rear tandem) seemed fine.

As noted above, the leaky axle was the one with the most clogged vent. Coincidence? Probably NOT!

MORAL of this story: Check & clean your vents!!

OH! & I should note that I've since acquired 3 new axle vents to install tomorrow. (I might be able to clean & reuse the existing vents, but I snagged 3 new ones to be 100% sure!)

I'll be checking/cleaning my tranny & xfercase vents also!!

stumps

make sure your transfer case vent is clean and clear. Mine was plugged, and the transfer case oil was pressure fed through the speedometer cable, and partly filled the speedometer. It wasn't all that hard to fix (If you know how), but I could have done without the extra task.

-Chuck

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
Now I know how to lube my spedo cable. I have a leaking boot as well. Found the vent plugged solid. Tomorrow at work I will make a vent line that vents into the engine compartment. I thought the seal had blown. Could not get to the tranfer case since I was lying in mud. Looks like I will make a cardboard driveway tomorrow to check all vents. Thanks for posting this. Still gonna replace the seal as soon as I get one.

dabtl

Are the axle vents the same vent used on the under hood brake/MC line?

I keep coming up with part #5196397 for both.

Inquiring minds want to know.

stumps

Now I know how to lube my spedo cable. I have a leaking boot as well. Found the vent plugged solid. Tomorrow at work I will make a vent line that vents into the engine compartment. I thought the seal had blown. Could not get to the tranfer case since I was lying in mud. Looks like I will make a cardboard driveway tomorrow to check all vents. Thanks for posting this. Still gonna replace the seal as soon as I get one.
You don't have to get into the mud to do the transmission and transfer case vents. Just remove the dozen, or so bolts and lift the tunnel out of the floor of your cab. The vents are right out in the open that way.

Probably the best solution would be to put hose barbs on each of the gear case vents, and using hose barb "T"'s run them all to a common line that connects to the top of the air cleaner housing. The brake vent is the same type, but it should probably get its own path up to the air cleaner.

All of this is detailed out in the deep water fording kit instructions.

-Chuck

stumps

Are the axle vents the same vent used on the under hood brake/MC line?

I keep coming up with part #5196397 for both.

Inquiring minds want to know.
They sure look the physically the same to me! I believe that all of the vents on the brakes and gear cases are the same.

-Chuck

Keith_J

They sure look the physically the same to me! I believe that all of the vents on the brakes and gear cases are the same.

-Chuck
Yep, all 1/8 NPT male pipe threads.

They are only done this way for cost savings, running hose is much better IMHO because pressures are equalized in both directions. After running, the diffs are hot, when they cool, a vacuum is formed, this can cause seals to fail since dirt will be "sucked into" the seal lip. Abrasive dirt causes seal surface wear.

5 tons had a pressed-on wiper ring but a deuce is directly on the axle housing.

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thanks stumps for reminding me of that. I have 2 trucks to do now. Found my other truck had a plugged vent on the front axle. I still gotta change the seal and boot and the wife hates my trucks in the driveway. Now before you say, what a wimp, this is way i am building me another building at the house, to hide and work on my toys. Here was the infamous exchange. SHE-Why do you have to park that truck in the driveway where everyone can see it?? ME: I have no other place to work on it. She-Why don't you build a garage where you park them? ME- Why would I do that when I can work on them right here, real close to my tools... SHE-You need a garage, just move your tools, parts and truck stuff into your own building!!!!!! ME- OK I guess I can squeeze me in a 30 x 48 building in the corner of the yard since you want one. Anything for you honey!! And that was how it went. Gonna get me an Amish construction crew in the spring to build it. Anything for the wife...That is how you do it guys...

stumps

Yep, all 1/8 NPT male pipe threads.

They are only done this way for cost savings, running hose is much better IMHO because pressures are equalized in both directions.
I agree completely, and that is what I am going to do with my deuce when I get a few other pressing matters attended to. I am going to replace the vents with hose barbs, and plumb a vent line up to the air cleaner. I will probably follow the general pattern used in the deep water fording kit.

I believe that the reason so many deuces make it to GL with good brakes, and have no brakes when it is time for recovery is the vacuum that these vents set up on the master cylinder. The piston cups on hydraulic brakes are designed only to seal under pressure. In the vacuum direction, the seal works against itself.

If the deuce is used regularly, the vents get ample opportunities to break their seal and leak down to atmospheric. But when they sit, like many an old person, they take a set.

-Chuck

stumps

...and the wife hates my trucks in the driveway.
My wife hates my truck period. She is like the guy in Green Eggs and Ham: "I do not like them here or there, I do not like them anywhere. I do not like them Sam I Am, I do not like green trucks .... ga ****!" - apologies to Dr. Seuss.
... Gonna get me an Amish construction crew in the spring to build it. Anything for the wife...That is how you do it guys...
Let me know the details. I want to put a 50x80 on my farm. I am looking for the best cheapest way.

My wife is perfectly ok with sharing a garage with my trucks, she just wants them hidden out of sight.

-Chuck

rideni

pole building get some old telephone poles and build a simple building
Very easy for heights of 16 foot(40 foot poles cut in half, with 4 foot in the ground. leave one full size pole to use to rig trusses)

mnscrap

manuals

any one know where i can get manuals for my 67 duce (and i dont mean digital i would like to be able to hold them and bring them out to the truck when i need them) thanks

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Holy thread swap, batman!

Go back up one level to the Deuce forum, click on the FAQ article, click on item #5 or scroll down to the TM you want and down load the .pdf files onto your hard drive to your hearts content.

You can print out as many copies as you want: One in the loo, one for the shop, one in the truck, etc. And it's fast and free! Thank you SS.

Rick

Last edited:

chgofiveo

My wife hates my truck period. She is like the guy in Green Eggs and Ham: "I do not like them here or there, I do not like them anywhere. I do not like them Sam I Am, I do not like green trucks .... ga ****!" - apologies to Dr. Seuss.

Let me know the details. I want to put a 50x80 on my farm. I am looking for the best cheapest way.

My wife is perfectly ok with sharing a garage with my trucks, she just wants them hidden out of sight.

-Chuck
Hey Stumps...Dont feel bad, my wife hates my truck too, I have to sprinkle diamonds on the floor of the truck so she will get in the darn thing! All I hear is, "Its TOO LOUD! Its TOO BIG! Its TOO GREEEEEEN!" I personally dont think it can ever be too green? but what the heck do I know!

tm america

good observation kieth j. i alway ran all my vents up high on all my offroad trucks since if you leave them mounted low and you get stuck in water when the diffs cool they will suck in water through the seals even though the vent seals under vacume if you run them up high and dont put a vent cap on them they work both ways and prevent water from being sucked in i like prevent better than vents anyway:roll:

BugEyeBear

... Treat it like you would treat you wife.
What do you mean??

Ignore the whining? (gearbox or tires)

Ignore the screaming? (C-Turbo)

Keep it because you've spent a lot of money on it and can't afford to get rid of it & acquire another one?

Drive it once every month or two? (& maybe on your birthday, anniversary, & New Years...)

Pretend that the body & paint work looks ok? (or maybe you've just gotten used to it?)

Get another one because you've "fixed" the 1st one & need a new project?

Mess around under the hood whenever you can?

etc. etc. etc......

roflrofl

chgofiveo

What do you mean??

Ignore the whining? (gearbox or tires)

Ignore the screaming? (C-Turbo)

Keep it because you've spent a lot of money on it and can't afford to get rid of it & acquire another one?

Drive it once every month or two? (& maybe on your birthday, anniversary, & New Years...)

Pretend that the body & paint work looks ok? (or maybe you've just gotten used to it?)

Get another one because you've "fixed" the 1st one & need a new project?

Mess around under the hood whenever you can?

etc. etc. etc......

roflrofl
:ditto: :beer:

Excellent!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks