• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Checking Transmission Oil/Fluid Level

Capt.Marion

Okay, where/how might one check the level of the oil/fluid (what is the correct term for it?) in the standard M37B1 transmission? It doesn't like shifting from 1st to 2nd, and it isn't just me. (and yes, I know that it isn't synchro'd 1st and 2nd gear.)

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a pipe plug in the side of the transmission about half way up on the case, I think on the right side. Oil should just run out of the hole when the plug is removed. Your comment that second gear is not synchronized puzzles me. All of the M37's I have driven were synchronized second gear. If yours is raking going into second gear, your synchro might be bad. I use 80/90 gear oil in mine.
Regards Marti

acetomatoco

Second is synchro in M37B1 and the Canadian Models I believe, too. If you can reach the oil with your finger in the hole, there is plenty, it expands as it gets warm... make sure your vents are cleaned... Hard shifting can sometimes be attributed to rust and wear in the top cover mechanism...due to rusting from moisture in the case above the oil if it has not been used for a period of time and not subjected to splash oiling from the gear trail below.

Capt.Marion

Thanks for the quick replies, guys. Checking the oil in the trans has been a "need-to-do" and I definitely shall check that out this weekend.

m376x6

Second gear in neither early series US M37's nor B1 series which uses the military version of the NP 420 are synchronized. I have never opened a Canadian version so I can't say from experience but have been told by those who have them that this Acme transmission is synchronized in second gear. If someone has told you second gear in the US version of any M37 or M43 is synchronized then they have misinformed you.

Bryan

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It seems to me, that when you remove the plug to check the fluid in mine, there is a gear close behind it, and its hard to stick your finger in there. I use a piece of broom stray or wire, in place of my finger.

Lee in Alaska

CGarbee

rosco said:
It seems to me, that when you remove the plug to check the fluid in mine, there is a gear close behind it, and its hard to stick your finger in there. I use a piece of broom stray or wire, in place of my finger.

Lee in Alaska
Shift to a different gear... It will move things around so that you have room to stick your finger (or the fill tube from you lube gun) into the transmission.

knattrass

Is 80/90 weight correct for use in the trans and diffs? I bought marine grade that comes with a little screw on pump for the lower outboard motor. Now I have to "weight" until spring so the oil will thin out.

CGarbee

You can use 80/90 weight... straight 90 weight GL1 was what was specified..
Same caveats that we give for gear oil used in the larger trucks... Make sure that if you run a GL5 that it has the MT1 rating on it...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks