• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Chevrolet front axles

acmunro

Good day, would a chevy 3/4 Ton Front axle bolt into a M1008 ? I know the spring perches on the rear axles are different. I did not hear or could not find any info on the front perches. I know the rotors and calipers, U joint, etc would be different. Mostly concerned about the perch width and what I will run into with the steering. Thank you

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
It will bolt right in, not sure about the drag link/steering arm. Someone else can chime in there. BTW are we talking Dana 44, Dana 60, or GM 10 bolt? the 44 and the 10 bolt will go right in. the 60 may require the draglink/steering arm pieces.

AJMBLAZER

He's asking if a 3/4 ton front will go in so obviously a D44 or 10 bolt.

If it's a 10 bolt I'm pretty sure the brakelines will bolt right to the brakes on the axle. The D44 was different...I think...:???: Might be the reverse but I'm pretty sure it was that way.

Drag link is the same. I think most of the rest of the steering parts are different though.

Perch width is the same as are the shock mounts.

joeypushjr1

dd you allready buthe axels ?? and are you just replacing the axel with chevy ones if you want brandnew ones military front and rear axels for the 1009-08 trucks and blazers go to www.colemans.com and to military trucks they have complete built front and rear axels .. front 295.00 rear 395.00

joeypushjr1

according to the people at colemans.com thats the price you pay and there genuine mil. spec. aexls with the 3.08 gear this is what there claiming...
"Chevy front axle with rotors and calipers. 6 lug. 3:08 ratio. Differential is on the passengers side (right side). Spring pad center to spring pad center measures 32 in. Lok out to lok out is 78 in. Lug to lug is 67½ in. These axle assemblies fit 73-91 4x4 Blazer, 73-87 4x4 Chevy and GMC Truck, and 73-88 4x4 Chevy and GMC Suburban 10 Series. Unused in crate. Ships at 528 lb weight." and same with rear

joeypushjr1

this is what they claim for the rear............
"Unused! Complete rear axle assembly. Includes 10 bolt posi rear, hubs, drums, brakes, emergency brake cables..........the works! 3:08 ratio. Measurement from backing plate to backing plate is 56 in. Measurement from center spring pad to center of other spring pad is 43 in. Outside drum to outside drum is 65 in. These axle assemblies fit 73-91 4x4 Blazer, 73-87 4x4 Chevy and GMC Truck, and 73-88 4x4 Chevy and GMC Suburban 10 Series. 6 lug. Built US military tough! This item cannot be shipped UPS. Call for shipping rates."

AJMBLAZER

M1008's and the rest of the pickups have 8 lug Dana 60 front axles and Corporate 14FF rear axles with 4.56 gears and a Detroit Locker in the rear. 1028's have a limited slip in the front D60. 1028 duallies have Dana 70 rear axles instead of the 14FF.

M1009's are half tons with 6 lug GM Corporate 10 bolt axles front and rear. 3.08 gears and a Grenade Lock in the rear.

Elwenil

Agreed. It's confusing how the military rated the M1009 as 3/4 ton, but it is for all intents and purposes a militarized 1/2 ton Blazer. Everything the military used normally has the payload rating increased by 1/4 ton over it's civilian counterpart.

acmunro

Thanks for the info, The axles that I know about right now are D44, one has has the older style large locking hubs (8 lug wheels) I think the truck was a 1975. The other one I think is a couple years newer with the 8 lug wheels and the 1/2 ton locking hubs. They are 4:10 ratio. I think my dad has a 4:10 14 bolt FF from a 4X2 C-30. I thought this might make a good combo. This project needs axles (don't have any now), its only going on some light trails for offroad action (will be in 2wd mostly), and the 4:10 ratio will bring the RPM's down for highway driving. Plus the D44 is much cheaper and easier to find with 4:10. Again thanks to everyone.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks