• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Chevrolet rim differences

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tried to mount some wheels from a M101A2 onto my 2001 Chev flight line van and ran into a problem. When the lugs were tightened on the front wheels, they never really hit bottom, but just got progressively harder to tighten. Turns out the wheel was sliding too far back on the hub and binding against the brake assembly. The center hole of the M101A2 wheel was slightly wider than the 2001 OEM Chevy wheels.

My question is did the Chevy 8-lug 16x6.5 wheels change the center hole diameter over time, or did the M101A2 trailer just have a Ford or Dodge 8-lug wheels? The 2001 OEM Chevy wheels fit just fine on the M101A2.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There may be a backspacing issue or just a different rim design. MWMules has a flight line van. After giving himself a flat at the GA Rally, a bunch of folks helped him swap out to a spare CUCV style rim and it locked up on the caliper. 2 minutes with my trusty cordless grinder and the necessary clearance was obtained.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had to grind some meat off the caliper. The M101A2 and A3 both have the small hub so that CUCV rims can be utilized. Ford or Dodge rims can generally be used on the CUCV of M101A2 and A3 as they have the bigger center hole. Even later model Duramax truck Alcoa rims can fit the M101s, member Mark Harley runs them on his trailers. Your flight line van likely has a clearance issue at the caliper, not a center hole issue.

Gunzy

Sounds to me like the trailer wheels are not designed for Disc brakes. If you want to be able to interchange wheels with the trailer get another pair of Chevy wheels for it.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the simplest solution is I just need a pair of the newer Chevy rims to put on the M101A2 so all the wheels and spares will be interchangeable. The van wheels fit the trailer just fine.

Searching for the center bore diameter, this site says the 1997-2008 Express van has 8x165.1mm (8x6.5") bolt pattern and 117mm center bore (another site says 116.7mm). The Ford and Dodge wheels have 122 to 125 mm center bores.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Yep like Kenny said my spare had come off a M101A2 and I had never mounted it till then and it was the offset that wasn't deep enough. I didn't even realize I had a problem till I hit the brakes 1/2 mile down the road.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks