• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Chevy 292 six

Milbikes

Not that I am planning on it, but would a Chevy 292 straight six fit in an M37 without any cutting of sheet metal? Inquiring minds want to know. I was just thinking about the old ,59 Chevy panel truck I drove back in the seventies. H.

Brett

I've got a M37 with a LS series V8, and I have a parts truck that had a chevy straight 6 . The LS fits much better. The parts truck had the rad moved forward a few inches, the firewall BFH'ed, and the front suspension locked out for oilpan clearance. All that and the front driveshaft was still rubbing on the pan. But they didn't have to cut any sheetmetal.

My build is hereif you're curioushttp://www.g741.org/PHPBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2998&hilit=modern+repower

Brett

diverman555

In Memorial
In Memorial
We use to race 68- and up camero's and had a guy Earl Bonner an ARCA official now and he built the 292 with so much HP we ran the half mile in Toledo against the 350's and were 2/10th's slower in a straight 6 than a full race motor 350. so yes it will fit and could really be fast.

Kasper31

Milbiks
You might consider the Chev. V-6 series with the NV-4500, it works very well. In stock form there's more than enough H.P and the NV will give you a much better cruse speed. The V-6 takes up less room and the weight is better. Then you'll need better brakes.:driver:
Kasper31

You can't ware it out looking at it, use it, if you break it you found your limit

xm708

I have seen 4bts, 318,360,6.2 diesel, 350 chevy and a 250 chevy without cutting so I would assume a 292 would fit with no issues. I have one in my 72 chevy and a parts one and I love it. I would love to see a 292 in a m37.

ed

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My Dad had the 292 in his '70 Chevy PU. It had the 4-speed in it with a really low first gear and if you hit it just right you could pull the front wheels off the ground going into second.

That is until I put a few hundred pounds of steel out the back (through the camper shell door) when I forgot it was there. Good times, (not for me when Dad found out though).

That is a great engine and I would love to have one in a pickup again someday.

dependable

I had a 292 in a 65 C-60 dump with a 4 speed and a split rear. Also in a 66 K-20. Great engine. Lots of torque, which is good for a M-37. Like other engines with the same block; 196, 230, 250 and the 292, have 7 main bearings and a very tough fiber gear instead of a timing chain. Simple to work on and parts still available. If you run into a GMC 305 or 351 V-6, that is another good motor.( The one they put in trucks and buses in the 60s.)

Last edited: