• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Chevy Blazer M1009 CUCV turbo upgrade

Uechi

Hi new forum member about to buy a Chevy Blazer M1009 diesel 4x4. I don't plan on doing much to the truck with the following exceptions:

I'd like to turbocharge the 6.2 liter engine or replace so I can get higher speed then 55 MPH. I know Banks makes a turbo kit but don't know whether it is mechanically injected or electronic. I don't want elctronic fuel injection. Does Banks or anybody make such a turbo charger.

I also want to put larger fuel tank on the truck preferably 32 to 40 gallons or install auxiliary tanks.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

jw4x4

Hello, and welcome to the site. You have quite a bit of reading ahead of you. M1009's are easily capable of more than 55mph. The gear ratio is 3:08. Speeds of 65-70 are possible, especially with slightly larger than stock tires. I usually drive 60-65 on the highway. As for turbo kits, I believe Banks has discontinued their "Sidewinder" kit (I may be incorrect, if so, someone will chime in). However, the parts are still available, both new and used, to do the upgrade. It is all mechanical on these vehicles, nothing electronic. As far as aux. fuel tanks, there is not really room for any. The best you might do is replace the original tank with one from a suburban.

Uechi

Thanks for replys guys. As far as the top end speed, good to know it is better then 55mph. I got that speed from so called Military Specs on the M1009 and several placeson the Internet. Do either of you know what the top end is on these trucks with a turbo diesel. I'm not interested in turning it into a race car just would like to be able to drive highway speeds and accelerate from a stop a little faster.

jw4x4

The specs you are reading is the government recommended operation. They top out at around 75. BUT with that being said, they will not run that fast for long. High rpm's are the death of these engines. A turbo will not have any bearing on top speed, just get there quicker. Keep the tires under 35" and they do pretty good. As with anything, there are endless mods one can make to add power. It just depends on how endless your funds and time are.

Shackelford R

Uchei Good to meet some one els from fl im in north port used to work in bradenton. I keep my 09 at 65 on 75 when I was going to work every day got good economy not exactley sure how many mpg It seemes to use less fuel than at 70 75

Last edited:

Uechi

Thanks for the inputs but I'm confused. I got one post that says running the engine at high rpms means quick death and two that say the trucks run fine at high speed, for how long? I don't plan on doing a lot of highway driving, but I go to Georgia 2 times a year and I don't want to be stuck chugging along at 55 nor do I want to blow the engine. Most of the driving would be local and under 45 but I sure would like to take it when I go to Georgia. If I change out the engine for a 6.5 or some other diesel will it make a difference? I'm not exactly a prepper but I'd lilke to have a diesel that is mechanically injected that will confortably do 65 or 70 without damaging the engine. Thanks again for the inputs.

Ken_86gt

Don't be confused- everyone has an opinion....When I had mine I would take the highway and drive 70-75 very easily and still get 20mpg. This is possible because of the 3.08 gear ratio in the axle. An engine you swap in will run at the same rpms on the highway because the gears didn't change. The 6.2 is mechanically injected. Some 6.5 are mechanical and some are electric. I think you should try the stock setup for a while before you change anything.

jw4x4

High rpm in not necessarily a quick death, but it sure will live alot longer and get better fuel mileage if you keep it in the 'sweet spot", which for a 1009 is around 60-65. As always, your mileage and longevity may vary.:grin:

BlazerAdventure

I agree with Ken, the 3.08 gears are pretty tall, and highway speeds did not seem to be a problem. The sweet spot for the engine is not governed by speed, but by RPM. We are in the process of adding a tach so that we can monitor RPM. We are also putting in a pyrometer so that we can monitor EGT (another input to manage the "sweet spot" )
On our Texas trip we were averaging 70 to 80, and getting 18mpg. And that was the trip back from picking them up, so no work at all.

jsgmdiesel

I ordered a sidwinder turbo kit directly from Banks and installed it in my M1028 last week. Kit was $2,286 shipping included. Pricey yes, but the power upgrade is unbelievable. The kit is high quality and has everything you need, except I had to go to a junkyard and get a front civy battery the CUCV tray is in the way of the air filter box. the I also did the marine injectors from SSDiesel at the same time. Money well worth spent. With the 3.08 gears and a turbo, you will have plenty of power and your engine will be fine. When I bought my 1028 I drove it 4 hours home at 60mph and that was with 4.56 gears.

Gunfighter1

I turboed my 1009 with parts from a 6.5, cheaper than the banks kit by a lot. Cant comment on difference in performance but id imagine it should be similar. Parts are on ebay and readily available. It'll do 70-75 easily down the highway. Im also running 33's to so RPM is a bit lower than factory sized tires. Id like to go to 3.73 gears to get a little more low end torque. Id highly recommend installing a pyrometer and boost gauge. My temps got a little high around 600 or so when I was going up in the mountains but still pulled along just fine and gets around 18-mpg still

wayne pick

I turboed my 1009 with parts from a 6.5, cheaper than the banks kit by a lot. Cant comment on difference in performance but id imagine it should be similar. Parts are on ebay and readily available. It'll do 70-75 easily down the highway. Im also running 33's to so RPM is a bit lower than factory sized tires. Id like to go to 3.73 gears to get a little more low end torque. Id highly recommend installing a pyrometer and boost gauge. My temps got a little high around 600 or so when I was going up in the mountains but still pulled along just fine and gets around 18-mpg still
An EGT of 600 DEG is relatively low. I go to 900 on one long hill here, still way in the safe zone.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
By the numbers. With stock gears and tires at 65 you will be turning 2293 rpm. That is in the ballpark of the sweet spot. At 75 mph you will be turning 2645 rpm. Not exactly in the economy mode but well under the 3600 rpm governed rpm. Just drive it as is for now. Please don't expect blazing power, the 6.2 was never designed for that.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please include your state in your location, as the rules request.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks