• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Chevy G506. Need a little help !!

gabby4244

New to the site. Have been bitten by the BUG !!! Considering the purchase of a 1944 Chevy G506. This would be my 1st Steel Soldier, but would have to admit I haven't a clue !!!! Have owned many antique cars and can turn a wrench, but this category is totally new to me !! Anyone have any serious TIPS !! Thanks Guys !! :?::?:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the sickness. Moved your thread to the proper forum

CatMan

Hi Gabby,
There are lots of us that started out on M series trucks and worked backward into Korean and then WWII era trucks. The WWII Chevy's and GMC's are some really classy trucks. I have owned G506's and currently have a 1945 GMC dump truck. A couple of thoughts come to mind. There are a number of people that are experts on the WWII trucks in your area (NH) that can and will help you. The Chevy G506 is a nice size truck. All the looks of the big 6X6 but smaller and with four fewer tires. Bigger than a Jeep so you have to drive it to shows, rather than trailer it, but you have room in back to take your camping gear for the weekend. The enclosed cab is small, so don't try and put more than two people in the cab. They are a little hard on gasoline, but what 1940's truck engine isn't?

The original engines were lubed by a low pressure dipper system and many G506 engines have been replaced with later models that are pressure lubed. They look similar. Get someone to show you the difference in the truck you are looking at. Brakes will require a complete rebuild. When the brake system dies, the whole thing dies. Parts availavility can be spotty. Sometimes the NAPA store can help since many components were commercial items used well ito the 1960's. Other chassis parts are getting harder to find. Some folks give up on the 6 volt electric system and make a convertion to 12 volt. That can be done and there are opinions and articles pro and con.

Does it have an original cargo bed on the rear? These were usually discarded and are probably the hardest big part to find to restore one. You can also look at the web site WWW.CCKW.org. Lots of Chey G506 info and contacts there too.

Remember these works of experiance...."Always buy the best most complete truck you can. They cost more, but that cheap clapped out wreck will cost more to restore in the end."

Welcome Aboard.

Cat Man

gabby4244

THANK YOU !!!! Your info will be put to good use ! The feed back from you and others has been a great help !! I certainly like your words of experience, because I was not sure which way to go !?! It's so obvious but sometimes not so clear !! The more I think about this, the more I have decided to go with the one that was more $, but with less headaches !!!! I do have a very important ? for you, do you know the height of your g506 ? The shipping company has asked me the dimensions, height is the most important one, then width and length. Any #'s you can provide would be fantastic, thanks again !! Paul.

WW2Chevy

I can help with this question! I had mine shipped about a year ago, and the night before she was due to be picked up, I woke from a troubled sleep wondering the same thing. I never measured the height of our new garage door before we bought the new house. It was only 7 ft high, and the cab on my truck measured 7'-4" high. I rushed to remove the from the chassis before the shipper showed up, as I had a chain hoist available there, but would not at our new home. I don't think our new neighbors would have been very happy to see my little "project" truck setting in the driveway because she wouldn't fit through the door!

gabby4244

Hey WW2Chevy, thanks for the feed back ! So you had to remove the cab from the chassis because it measured 7'4" !!!! The auto trans people said the max they can handle was 7'2" !!!! Did you end up getting this in your garage ?? And what type of transport truck ended up moving your truck ?? Thanx.

WW2Chevy

Yep its in the garage. The truck chassis and cargo bed are in one stall, and the cab is in another... They'll get put back together later in the restoration. My plan is to remove the front tires and wheels, and use heavy duty auto dollies when I need to garage it.

gabby4244

Ya but how was it shipped ? Mines gonna come long distance and the max. height they can handle is 7'2". I'm told the truck measures 7'4" !!

WW2Chevy

I mentioned that my truck measured 7'-4" high, due to the slightly oversized tires I had on the front. The manual shows that the cab is 7'-3" high (based on the height of the chassis with cab model 7103). Your best option would be to just let some air out of the front tires to lower it to something less than 7'-2".

gabby4244

Got her home !!!!

Finally picked it up 2/16 from PA. Had to get a lowered size flatbed to bring it home. Originally a fire truck, 235 motor has 3,500. miles. Really no rust because it was always stored inside !! :jumpin::jumpin:P2160078.jpg :jumpin::jumpin:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks