• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Chevy v8 in m37 clutch linkage??

justindearb

Hello I am going to put a Chevy V8 in my M 37 this winter I have an SM 465 with a early 70s style bell housing with the open bottom a truck bell housing I was wondering what people do for clutch linkage? I want to stick with mechanical I don't want to go to hydraulic, if anyone has any info or pictures that would excellent I haven't started the project yet I'm just trying to wrap my head around everything before I start it
thank you

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That should be an interesting conversion but just a word of caution for you in this en-devour remember your replacing an engine that put out under 80 HP and EVERYTHING behind the engine was built to handle that, except axles the original motor seemed to break them much more than ever thought possible, but keeping this in mind and dont be to surprised when you start finding things that are not going to work with this engine combination! Sounds pretty interesting though Good luck on it!
Karl

billyzz

I thought that the 318 conversion was very common.
if it is and has been for years

did all of those people have every thing on their trucks break?

CGarbee

It's actually a pretty easy setup to install.
I have a manual on the shelf that details how to do this very swap (with scale drawings of the motor mounts and other such parts that you have to fabricate for installing a Chevy 350/SM465).

On my Cummins conversions, I run a juice clutch, but I have contemplated a mechanical linkage at time and figure that it would just take some clevises, rod stock, and nuts...

On any swap (gas or diesel), you just have to be aware that you need to be a bit gentle with the throttle at times so that you don't twist the axles or driveshaft...but you already know that if you have driven a stock one as the weak links are the same...they are just easier to exceed.

Don't forget to update the brakes. ;)

justindearb

In my opinion the weakest link in the m37 running gear is the stock axle shafts and the poorly set up ring and pinion/ fiberous thrust washers failure, I'm going to a brand new set of 4.89 gears and it will be set up perfectly my my good Friend bob stahl and also installing a set of foote high strength axle shafts and general knowledge of how to drive one of these vehicles which is probably the most important factor in breakage, plus I've owned these trucks for 18 years and have done higher power engine replacements such as my 140hp/240tq 251 flathead build and haven't broke anything yet, this was not a spur of the moment decision it was very well thought out process of addressing weak points, plus it is a very mild 350 build as well not a 300+ horsepower build

So back to clutch linkage I was thinking of using a z bar setup just seeking some other options to solve this issue thanks

MatthewH

It's actually a pretty easy setup to install.
I have a manual on the shelf that details how to do this very swap (with scale drawings of the motor mounts and other such parts that you have to fabricate for installing a Chevy 350/SM465).

On my Cummins conversions, I run a juice clutch, but I have contemplated a mechanical linkage at time and figure that it would just take some clevises, rod stock, and nuts...

On any swap (gas or diesel), you just have to be aware that you need to be a bit gentle with the throttle at times so that you don't twist the axles or driveshaft...but you already know that if you have driven a stock one as the weak links are the same...they are just easier to exceed.

Don't forget to update the brakes. ;)

Any chance you would be willing to share that manual? Id like to have a copy for my library

billyzz

Hello I am going to put a Chevy V8 in my M 37 this winter I have an SM 465 with a early 70s style bell housing with the open bottom a truck bell housing I was wondering what people do for clutch linkage? I want to stick with mechanical I don't want to go to hydraulic, if anyone has any info or pictures that would excellent I haven't started the project yet I'm just trying to wrap my head around everything before I start it
thank you
Mine has a simple chain type setup

and I can snap a few pictures if you want

wdbtchr

I've been battling doing a conversion on my M37 for years, haven't gotten up the nerve yet but been collecting parts just in case. :roll: I've read all the ideas on drive train weaknesses and modifying the brakes/upgrades needed and if I take the plunge I'm going to basically use the drive train out of an '89 Suburban. I have a complete setup minus the small block that was in it originally but I have a +.030 327 to power it with. The main thing that worries me is how it would look with the wider Suburban axles. I've seen a few pictures of M37s on Pirate but just can't decide because I love it stock. I suspect that soldier #2 (#2 son) is going to do it if I croak before I get there.

billyzz

Since the previous owner installed a 318 and I have no interest in hard-core four wheeling

I think I will eventually upgrade the brakes only because the replacement parts don't exist.
but for just putting around the original axles are fine

if I had a big pile of money I would put the body on a Cummins powered frame and have a great truck with a cool body

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks