• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

child carseats in M1009

Mike_Kendall

Hello, I am new to the web site. My wife just delivered triplets so I have car seat questions. I'm still active duty in Bahrain but soon to retire and bought an M1009 off of ebay that looks very clean for 3.5K with 31K miles My brother is going to pick it up for me. I don't remember if there are 3 or 2 seat belts for the back seat. I want to be able to put 3 child car seats (infant for now) in the back seat. I also would like to purchase a trailer so that I can use it to haul construction materials vice buying an expensive luggage rack. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. V/r, Mike

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Yep there are 3 sets in the back as JJ stated. I did 2 car seats and then 2 boosters. Keep in mind there is nothing to the side of the back seat except for green iron. You have various options to pad/protect even if it's nothing more than a sleeping bag strapped in place (I'm talking once they hit the booster seat age ---baby seats you shouldn't have to worry about lateral movement too much). If there is a radio rack in the back, I'd pull it out for now. It bolts in and out so no permanent issue if you ever want to replace it. Having it there with folks in the back could be hazardous. Oh, and I actually found the baby seats easier to install in my 1009 than in my wifes mini-van.

Although the 1009 is technically only rated to tow 1/4 ton trailers, I frequently tow a 3/4 with it but do have to watch the weight and keep stopping distance in consideration. So all the baby stuff can go back there but based on my experience, that will put you in need of a 5 ton truck (LOL).

Lastly, let me get this straight. You are retiring and you have triplets that just arrived? ARE YOU NUTS!!!! Doubt you'll have any gonads for much longer. Jimmy's boys are about to get detached from Jimmy.

Kids are great. Congrats.

Mike_Kendall

Thanks all for the great information.
--- It sounds like I can get three baby seats on that back seat and that is great news. Does anyone have the width in inches of the back seat so I can start shopping for them?
--- No there is not a radio rack in this M1009. I am a HAM radio operator so envision an under the dash radio or one between the two bucket seats (or maybe both). I would also consider the antenna bracket to be installed on it to allow a good "bug catcher" type HAM antenna. It could be unbolted to make it origional again.
---There are some K5 blazer luggage racks out there but a really good one costs over 700 dollars. I saw a bunch of M105A2 trailers from a gent in San Clemente CA. Only concern is if the tires are the wrong heigth and when I attach to the M1009 pintle hook it may not be a level trailer. Anyone have experience with the trailers hooking up to the M1009 and staying level with the stock tires or will I have to replace tires on the trailer to match the M1009 tires to stay level?
---Outside of this M1009 is immaculant, it only has 31K and is a 1985. Fresh military paint scheme done professionally. The gent who sold it to me on Ebay is working with movie companies in SoCal and used it on a recent movie with George Clooney called "The Men Who Look At Goats". I had never heard of the movie but it explains the immaculant condition. Inside has a cracked dash pad and one panel on the driver seat bottom has a tear. I plan to buy a replacement dash pad from LMCtrucks.com and have an upholstery shop replace the 1 torn panel on the seat leaving the rest in tact.
---I saw the rubber matting on same website but am considering spraying bed liner on the inside of the M1009 so there won't be a moisture trap and then puting matching spray on bed liner on the trailer with a recamo paint scheme on the trailer.
---Any good threads on painting the stock cammo paint scheme that I can look at for the potential trailer?
---Is there any good threads on rust proofing? On my old Bronco before I had drilled drain holes in the bottom of the rocker panel and side of the tail gate. I spoke to a friend who advised sealing the metal overlap for the spot welds.
Lot's of questions, but I'd like to plan now so that when I fly back INCONUS in April I'll be ready to rock with the vehicle. I also plan to buy a spare 24 volt starter and spare ground isolated/2nd alternator so if I have a breakdown I'll be ready with any non standard parts instead of having a long lead time. It is better than buying a new F-250 diesel crew cab 4X4 for 50K and I honestly think I'll enjoy this vehicle alot more.
Best Regards, Mike

mangus580

Congrats on the Triplets... we just had twins in Sept! (one is in my lap as I type )

I think you are going to have a hard time getting 3 car seats SAFELY in the back seat of a 1009. I have had 2 in the back of mine, and there is not much room left in between. Also, the outer 2 are VERY difficult to get in tight due to the stalk for the seatbelt. I have never been overly comfortable with the seat install in my 1009 and really only use a car seat back there for local travel (with rare exception). Primarily I have one seat in the front now, and one in the back. I use the front most of the time.

Now all that said.... I am selling my 1009 soon most likely. Due to the growing family (now 4 kids!) it has been outgrown, and i have acquired a 95 Suburban to replace it with.

I guess the moral of all this is.... is the 1009 your PRIME mode of transportation? Or will this be a 'once in a while' type thing?

You might want to shop for a similar era Suburban, and make it CUCVish...

Mike_Kendall

OK,
---first on a the trailer, I had been told to use an M105A2 with the M1009. After researching, I'm embarrased as that is the trailer for the deuce. I did find some web pages where people heavily modified the M101 series trailer to work with a jeep (lots of work). I'm still scratching my head wondering how they are making luggage racks for the 86 blazer as I did see a link from a 4 wheeler magaziine web page with one going at 700 dollars. The jeeps have a luggage rack that work with the removable top and has a tube going down near the rear bumper, maybe that is the same concept.
---on the rear car seat of the M1009, what is the actual width of it? There is a manufacturer for the new Jeep's making extra bolt in seats that can be after market added for a third row but I'm not so sure if I like that so much. The M1009 was purchased as a work truck but it would be really nice to be able to transport the wife and 3 babies in it. 3,500 dollars is not going to set me back so much for a great vehicle like this, it will be April until I get back INCONUS and the M1009 will sit at my brother's place until I return with some occasional startups to keep the engine happy.
Thanks, Mike

mangus580

well like i said... 'once in a while' sure. Main mode of transportation, I would urge against.

As for the trailer... a 1009 will pull a M101 pretty decent. I would suggest using the 101A2 with surge brakes. You 'might' consider changing your axle gears from 3.08 to 3.73 if you plan to to it a bunch though.

Mike_Kendall

What is the width in inches of the back seat on the M1009? I was on a web page that discusses different car seats having different widths. The infant seats may be narrower with some brands. I read a post on SS that discussed the folding seat not latching properly, I would definitely want to strengthen that setup more to make it absolutely safe. I don't really care if the fold down ability is disabled while I own the vehicle to make the seat safer. Right now I am on my 3rd consecutive overseas tour so my old primary vehicle when it was just me and the wife was a Ford Ranger 4X4 6cyl several years ago. I am considering buying a used F350 crew cab that I saw on GL up in New York for auction also but already purchased the M1009. Thanks again, Mike

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I was going to say something about the M105 but you already found out. The M101 is a 3/4 ton rated trailer. The M101A2 and A3 have surge brakes. M101 and M101A1 have not standard brakes (just a parking brake).

Again, technically the manual says to only use a 1/4 ton trailer with the M1009. That means a M416 which is the old jeep trailer. With that said, I have used a M101A1 and recently aquired a M101A3 trailer and use those with the M1009 but watch what I load and how I load it. With the M101A1, there were times I had pucker factor when I needed to stop in a hurry. Wet road stopping with a loaded A1 can be a real fun ride. I haven't had the A3 for long and can't provide much info other than the tongue is real heavy. BARSTOW or one of the USMC bases had some 101A3 trailers out there recently. I suspect you will see more of these coming out.

Just measured the seat, 48" but the ends are soft so usable width is probably about 46". Might improve that by getting one of the civie seats with arm rests.

Mike_Kendall

According to answers.yahoo.com the sunshine radian 65 is the narrowist HWH 5 point harness seat that also has steel re-enforcement in it. Below 33 pounds it is used as a backwards seat and from 33-65 it is forward sitting, both configurations secured with lap belts. The width is 17.5 inches and has side impact foam built in. If the width of the rear seat in the M1009 is over 52.5 inches I may have a winner. A bit pricey (just under 200 dollars each) but worth it. It is also advertised as FAA certified and can go on an airline to buckle into the airline seat.
Mike

Mike_Kendall

OK, 48 inches wide so the sunshine radian 65 is not going to work in a triple wide config. I'll keep researching. There are makers of aftermarket seats designed to bolt in but it has been a while since being on the web page. They make them for the 4 door jeep rubicon that allows a 3rd row but it must be like loading groceries having that third row bolted into a cargo area. I will look for it and see if I can post it. Those bench seats that have the passenger two thirds fold down are getting to be common also. Maybe one of those bench seats in the front from a wrecked car? Just trying to think of all the possibilities. Wouldn't look too military on the inside any more but I could always keep the original parts to change back out.
Mike

Mike_Kendall

when you use your M101A3 trailer with the M1009 do you connect to the stock pintle on the bumper? Is the trailer level or is it tilted by a significant amount? Thanks again, Mike

Mike_Kendall

OK, I found the web site that makes the 3rd row seating it is called www.littleseats.com This is definitely not what I want. I was on ebay however and found a manufacturer of leather bench seats for many different types of vehicles. The middle section folds down to become an armrest. These look classy! Leather front bench seat with fold down arm rest from the manufacturer bolted in to replace the two original seats (that I would keep if I ever wanted to stay stock). I could have a "sunshine radian 65 up front between the Mrs. and I and then two of teh radian 65's on the back seat. If I got the back seat upholstered in similar leather that would be crazy nice for a military vehicle. Here is the link for example: Leather C10 Truck Seat Ford Dodge, & Chevy Split Bench:eBay Motors (item 350233769203 end time Nov-27-09 09:14:36 PST)
What is the opinion on that idea?
Best Regards,
Mike

Mike_Kendall

Looking closer, the link I just posted is actually three seperate seats. I have contacted them asking them if they sell the middle section. I would prefer vinyl also to match the existing seats. We'll see.
Mike