• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Chinese Aviation Museum

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for sharing. They have a lot of aircraft. Surprised by the amount of US hardware.

123mack

I have a uncle who was in China with MAG24 (Marine air group) right after WW2. The USMC had Corsairs. The Nationalst Chinese who shared the base had P-51s and a few B-25s.

eaw46

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There seems to be a repeating occurrence of a Taiwanese pilot taking whatever is the newest US aircraft to the Chinese mainland and landing it there and getting a lot of money it seems to happen every few yrs when the Taiwan AF gets new equipment. Eddy

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was there anything there that was thought of, designed by, and built/used by the Chinese? Or are they are copied/remade from other countries?

God bless,
Tony

Was there anything there that was thought of, designed by, and built/used by the Chinese? Or are they are copied/remade from other countries?

God bless,
Tony
I read every info-card they had. There were several planes that didn't have one. Out of all of them, I saw 2 that were designed by the Chinese and used by Chinese... I will post pictures...
DSC_0737.jpgDSC_0738.jpgDSC_0710.jpgDSC_0711.jpg

There were others that China "made" but they were based of Russian aircraft. The rest were fully Russian, US, or Japanese.

Last edited:
There seems to be a repeating occurrence of a Taiwanese pilot taking whatever is the newest US aircraft to the Chinese mainland and landing it there and getting a lot of money it seems to happen every few yrs when the Taiwan AF gets new equipment. Eddy
Yeah... It's weird to me that there is still such a resentment between the Taiwanese and Chinese, although they are clearly working together if you pay attention.
Anyone recognize these?
DSC_0001.jpgDSC_1018.jpg
DSC_0672.jpgDSC_0673.jpg

I'm no plane expert, but they didn't look Russian to me... First one was quite large, second was pretty small. Anyone know?

Last edited:

steelypip

Top is a recent Russian design. Bottom looks like maybe an F-5 (T-38 fighter variant used as a cheapie export fighter and Red Flag/Top gun aggressor subbing in for the small MiGs).

steelypip

The top plane is a "Jian-11" in Chinese according to the little blue sign under it. That's all the info I have.
The Shenyang J-11 (Chinese: 歼击机-11/歼-11; pinyin: Jianjiji-11/Jian-11) with NATO reporting name: Flanker B+ is a single-seat, twin-engine jet fighter based on the Soviet-designed Sukhoi Su-27 (NATO reporting name: Flanker) air superiority fighter and manufactured by the Shenyang Aircraft Corporation. The People's Liberation Army Air Force (PLAAF) of the People's Republic of China (PRC) is the sole operator of the aircraft.
- Wikipedia

Still don't know what the other one is. I know the museum has a Taiwanese F-5, but those intakes don't look right.
[later]
Found it: a CAC/PAC JF-17 Thunder. Probably a dimensional model or prototype given the markings. It's the answer to the question: what do you get when the Chinese and the Pakistanis get together to build a cheap, single-engine multirole fighter (a-la F-16)?

That's the most detail I've ever seen of the construction of the D-21 drone. The mission profile had the drone self-destructing after ejecting the data gathering payload. That one looks like it just crashed instead. Note that the Marquardt ramjet is completely missing - I suspect it went to a lab to be reverse-engineered and was never reunited with the rest of the drone. Note also that all of the leading edges are missing along with nearly anything else that would burn. I wonder how long it sat around before somebody found it?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Steelypip!

According to Wikipedia (I'm sure you probably already know, but for others): "Four operational missions with the D-21B took place under the codename of Senior Bowl. These were conducted over the People's Republic of China from 9 November 1969 to 20 March 1971 to spy on the Lop Nor nuclear test site. The USAF's 4200th Support Squadron, based at Beale Air Force Base, California, flew the missions, usually from Andersen Air Force Base in Guam.The Chinese never spotted the D-21B, but it failed to turn around and continued straight on, crashing somewhere in the Soviet Union.[SUP][20][/SUP] Another test flight was conducted on 20 February 1970 in a successful attempt to correct any problems. The second operational mission, however, was not until 16 December 1970. The D-21B made it all the way to Lop Nor and back to the recovery point, but the hatch had a partial parachute failure and was lost at sea.
During the third operational mission, on 4 March 1971, the D-21B flew to Lop Nor and returned, jettisoning the hatch. It deployed its parachute, but the midair recovery failed. The destroyer that tried to retrieve the hatch from the water ran it down and it sank. The fourth, and last, flight of the D-21B was on 20 March 1971. It was lost over China on the final segment of the route. Wreckage of this lost D-21B was found by local authority in Yunnan province, China. In 2010, after being dumped in the junkyard of China Aviation Museum for years, the wreckage was finally officially moved to the exhibition area.[SUP]"

[/SUP]

steelypip

I hadn't bothered to look up the recent history of the drones since the missions had been declassified some years ago - Didn't know that mission 3's drone had been recovered by the Chinese. Note that there's no date mentioned of the recovery, only that it moved into the museum from the junkyard in 2010.

I am sure they picked it up soon after it went down and reverse-engineered it. Doesn't seem like they got much from it being there isn't an aircraft that looks exactly like it from the Chinese... that we know of. Based on the pictures of when they found it, a good amount of it went missing over the years.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks