• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Chinese Dong Feng HMMWV's from Hong Kong Open House

jpinst

Took a few shots last week at the PLA open house in Hong Kong. Looks more luxurious than our GI HMMWV's on the inside. I have pics of other vehicles. Let me know if you are interested and I will post more.

Attachments

flighht2k5

Banned
Communist nations have no idea how to design anything from scratch. All they know how to do is copy.

saddamsnightmare

May 5th, 2012.

I seem to remember that same statement was made about the Japanese in 1940.... Untill we got our tails shot off by the "Zero", designed and flown by little guys who needed glasses.... I think if you ask the guys who went to WWII in the Brewster Buffalo, they probably would have preferred a Zero right before they got shot down...:(
If they can build it half as well as we do for less money, they will probably own the world!:?

Besides, I conside any HMMWV about a poor substitute for either a Unimog U1300L, or even a good solid UNIMOG S404.114...the only problem with the older Unimog is that it's slower, but it will climb over things a stock military Hummer won't...IMHO

Last edited:

Varyag

On that same note, given the chance to have a harbor fright screw driver vs a klein in combat, I would use the made in the USA one. Just because they look similar does not mean anything is really comparable.

However, I would not ever underestimate their opportunity and drive to use any of their poorly built equipment effectively, that would be ignorant.

dilvoy

On that same note, given the chance to have a harbor fright screw driver vs a klein in combat, I would use the made in the USA one. Just because they look similar does not mean anything is really comparable.

However, I would not ever underestimate their opportunity and drive to use any of their poorly built equipment effectively, that would be ignorant.

You can win a war with lesser quality equipment if you have more of it than the guys with the better stuff. You wear them down at the expense of your own people.

ixpacman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you pay attention to the real history of Chinese western relations one will realize(only if you pay attention) that the chinese were at one time almost a thousand years ahead of western technology and managed to deplete the europeans of every bit of gold and silver that they possessed until the British figured out how to get the Chinese people addicted to opium from there imperial conquests in Afghanistan and southern asia. The Chinese were also mainly responsible for the speedy construction of the American intercontinental railway and were excluded from the final ceremony of the joining of the two halfs. Most of the American workers were drunk every evening were late to work and were half as productive as the chinese. The chinese were subsequently expelled from the country and the ones that were left were persecuted as a race and some were put into concentration camps. I don't want to break the rules on SS about political posts and everyone is entitled to an opinion but I think if you can take something and make it better for your own use more power to you. I am however apalled at the crappy outsoiurced low quality parts and equipment coming out of China now and am very careful to not put any of iton any of my MV's but I don't think that the Chinese are solely responsible for sending our production and manufacturing including product support ,quality control,jobs,and replacements parts industry overseas. Sorry moderators I don't like hate and I am not Chinese. I like history a lot and have studied it truthfully. ixpacman by the way that Hummer is pretty cool( I think )

3dAngus

I don't like the paint tint. It makes it look cheap, like tin,. Change the color and it would look better. A nice OD green, WWII style, and it would look a lot better to me..

jpinst

Actually, during the late 1980's during a warming period in relations between China and the US to counter the USSR, Blackhawks, HMMWV's and other material were exported to China. Most of which is pop now because they can't get spare parts due to the post Tiananmen embargo.

jpinst

If you pay attention to the real history of Chinese western relations one will realize(only if you pay attention) that the chinese were at one time almost a thousand years ahead of western technology and managed to deplete the europeans of every bit of gold and silver that they possessed until the British figured out how to get the Chinese people addicted to opium from there imperial conquests in Afghanistan and southern asia. The Chinese were also mainly responsible for the speedy construction of the American intercontinental railway and were excluded from the final ceremony of the joining of the two halfs. Most of the American workers were drunk every evening were late to work and were half as productive as the chinese. The chinese were subsequently expelled from the country and the ones that were left were persecuted as a race and some were put into concentration camps. I don't want to break the rules on SS about political posts and everyone is entitled to an opinion but I think if you can take something and make it better for your own use more power to you. I am however apalled at the crappy outsoiurced low quality parts and equipment coming out of China now and am very careful to not put any of iton any of my MV's but I don't think that the Chinese are solely responsible for sending our production and manufacturing including product support ,quality control,jobs,and replacements parts industry overseas. Sorry moderators I don't like hate and I am not Chinese. I like history a lot and have studied it truthfully. ixpacman by the way that Hummer is pretty cool( I think )
I will say that as a Sinologist and China scholar, this is pure rubbish. The Chinese have not been innovative in over 100 years, and those things they had invested in previous dynasties were never widely applied because of their inward looking and closed culture. Their current political environment and culture is what prevents innovation in modern China, and will prevent China from every becoming a superpower. I may also add that although the british did trade Opium with their East Indian trading Company, it was widely was for the most part traded in China by other wealthy Chinese. They are prominent figures in Chinese history. After daces of studies, I will add that I do not respect the Chinese that much. Then OTOH, I think the people in Taiwan and Hong Kong are quite deserving of respect.

nattieleather

I wonder if they got the drawing and specs from AM General as part of a dialog to license the building of the HMMWV and then made the copy or did they reverse engineer it. In which case they might have gotten a civilian one (out right purchased) and reverse engineered it to make their truck. The trans cover with the cup holders make me think they went that route. They can reverse engineer and copy very well. I have M1 Carbine ammo that is Chineese made even copied with LC 52 head stamp on the case. Wife has a Noranco M1911a1 did a triger job on it and used GI parts with no problem. They copy stuff well.

Any chance they are building this under a license agreement with AMG?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks