• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Chinese wheel bearings...

ekdee1

Received my new wheel bearings today. Upon further inspection I noticed one of the tapered roller bearings was made in China. The part number, fit and function are correct. Anyone had good or bad luck or experience with Chinese manufactured bearings?

Ridgerunner

I could be wrong, but I have not seen "anything" with a good quality or a long service life come out of China.

Last edited:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the quantity of goods coming out of China, they'll soon be producing the best quality of just about anything with the experience gained, just look at Japan....

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have been directed several times over the past few years to pull "Made In China" wheel bearings from service from our aircraft tow tractors. This equipment almost never gets over 5 mph. You be the judge.

KI4GSN

I would stay away from Chinese anything if possible. It may (read:will) cost more to buy American, but the quality is so much better.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I just swapped out all the bearings on my dropside truck. The place I ordered the bearings from sent some timken made in USA, some made in Canada, and one or two made in china. Guess which are still in the box.

poof

Dirty Hippie
Chineese parts tend to be a Band-aid fix..
If your down and out, and its all you can come up with at the time , do what you have to do.
Be prepaired to replace sooner than later.
I wouldnt use anything Chinese made for replacement of critical parts.

bottleworks

I'm all pro USA, but who made your failed wheel bearing? With all this stereotyping, why not buy a Canadian made wheel bearing. Far superior then USA made.

Or course, I don't have any facts to back this up, just like everyone who posted anti-China remarks. Really, this entire thread is a waste of time.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I agree with bottleworks. . .

Oh, and make sure not to let your kids handle your Chinese wheel bearings. . . lead issues :p

I'm off to my shop to throw out all my Snap On tools, and replace them with Harbor Freight stuff. ;)

Last edited:

Michael

I'm all pro USA, but who made your failed wheel bearing? With all this stereotyping, why not buy a Canadian made wheel bearing. Far superior then USA made.

Or course, I don't have any facts to back this up, just like everyone who posted anti-China remarks. Really, this entire thread is a waste of time.
I wouldn't go that far. It is a legitimate question, just no one has answered with yes I have used them and they are still holding up or that they have failed. I think we all would prefer to use made in USA parts for our trucks, but they are getting harder to find. Often when you order on line you don't know what you are going to get and several have posted they are getting mixed orders. A lot of what little is still made in this country is full of made in china parts.

LOWGEAR

I replaced some bearing on my cj with ones made in china that I purchased from a off road shop and they failed in six months taking the spindle with them. I'll never made that mistake again.:cry:

Michael

Going back to who made the bearing that you are replacing, how many orginal US bearings fail that still have grease on them? I would think most would have had the grease washed off them from a seal failure or rust from fording rather than from a manufacturing defect. I wonder how many of us are ordering bearings to have on hand in case we find bad ones when we check them and we end up never using them?

Last edited:

txdodge43man

I work on oil feild equipment (mud pumps and draworks) and right now there are 40 brand new straight from china pumps in the yard waiting to be rebuilt with amarican bearings, and bolts becuase they fail with in a matter of day in the feild.