• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Chirping sound when engine warms up

WolfgangKromhonger

I went through current threads, and none seem to sound like my issue. I am sorry if this has been answered on another thread and I did not see it. I have a chirping sound (like a chirp/squeak) coming from somewhere on the turbo side of the M35 multi-fuel engine once it is warmed up. It idles fine, no loss in power, the chirping speeds up with the RPM's and is hard to hear at/after 1500RPMs. It starts after a few minutes after start-up when the engine is warm, I have climbed all over the engine while it is running and can only tell that it is on the passenger side of the truck. I must admit, I am half deaf due to my military job in the USAF, so I do have trouble pinpointing sound. Any help you guys have for me would be great!

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Belt chip from alternator pulley,? - try spraying a little water/lube on it and see if it changes/ceases. If not might be a turbo compressor rub.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it only produce the chip when warm, warm up the engine and then disconnect the inlet/exit tubing from the turbo and spin it by hand, you may feel it drag also. Or use a rod to act as a stethoscope and listen.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are rebuild kits out there, better to have a shop go through it. Double check the rest of the truck. All my trucks have certain rattles/chips, squeaks, produced by cowls, hoods, panels, etc. They come and go depending on RPM.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd check all the belt driven accessories. Air compressor can chirp, too. One way is to un-do (i.e. loosen) all belts and listen if the sound is still there.

WolfgangKromhonger

I will check it all...I don't think it is coming from the front, but it can't hurt to look. Thank you guys for the help! I am glad I found this site, I have a Weapons Hauler I am going to be restoring and will most likely have issues there as well.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone collecting/operating MVs has issues. As the old saying goes, "if it's got tits or wheels, it going to give you problems".

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Before I did anything, I'd put a long screwdriver's handle up to my ear and touch the tip around on the motor. It works like a stethoscope.

SOunds to me like maybe a valve adjustment is needed or as stated an exhaust leak. Touching various parts will get you closer to the issue.

As stated in another thread, staring at it like a retard for an hour or two, is the first step in any troubleshooting process.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks