• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Choctaw H140 spark problems

galaxie428

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all,

My Choctaw heater has decided not to work since it has gotten cold out and I could really use it. I have run the tests in the manual for no spark. I can't figure it out, I tested the terminals under the control panel and that was ok. I've tested that I have voltage to the capacitor when in cool down, I also cut the leads to the ignition transformer and I have voltage through there. But, still no spark. I know, sounds like the ignition transformer is bad right? But, I can hook it directly to a 120v power source and I get a really good arc. So why is it working like that but not through the unit? Is the ignition transformer bad? I'm at a loss of what to do next. Anyone have any ideas?

Odd thing is, it did this last year and we did all the same tests and when we put it back together, it worked flawlessly the rest of the year. This year, did the same thing, I ran all the tests, put it back together and it worked, at least until I moved it to another location.

Thanks for any help you can give.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry to co-opt the OP...but...I cannot provide any substantive response, but DOES ANYONE have the A/C plug? I have the same heater...but no 120V connection.

galaxie428

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just to follow back up on this, I ordered a new ignition transformer to try. It arrived today and I installed it. The heater now works again, I hope that is what fixed it and this isn't just a temporary thing.

petercop

Just to follow back up on this, I ordered a new ignition transformer to try. It arrived today and I installed it. The heater now works again, I hope that is what fixed it and this isn't just a temporary thing.
Hello, I just went through the exact same issue and I did the trouble shooting and confirmed I have 115 VAC at the leads to the capacitor transformer but have no spark. Unit was working fine two days ago (Feb 11, 2022. I pulled the burner to clean the spark electrodes as they were very well sooted/coked. I only burn off road diesel in this. I assume this is Home Heating Oil No. 2 (it is red color diesel).

Where did you buy your transformer/what did it cost. I ordered a new capacitor but I checked the existing cap and it is reading 10 uf per spec.

Thank you in advance.

My unit has only 100 hours and has been in service since November 2016. Lightly used to heat pole barn in cold months when I am tinkering on my projects.

galaxie428

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello, I just went through the exact same issue and I did the trouble shooting and confirmed I have 115 VAC at the leads to the capacitor transformer but have no spark. Unit was working fine two days ago (Feb 11, 2022. I pulled the burner to clean the spark electrodes as they were very well sooted/coked. I only burn off road diesel in this. I assume this is Home Heating Oil No. 2 (it is red color diesel).

Where did you buy your transformer/what did it cost. I ordered a new capacitor but I checked the existing cap and it is reading 10 uf per spec.

Thank you in advance.

My unit has only 100 hours and has been in service since November 2016. Lightly used to heat pole barn in cold months when I am tinkering on my projects.
I bought mine through supplyhouse.com. I think it was $41. I got it pretty fast.

I use offroad diesel in mine also and yes it is dyed red.

Hope this helps.

petercop

Thanj you. I actually found the same website this afternoon and ordered same one for 41. I havent fully disassembled yet. Was it easy to get the spark plug wires off the transformer (do the pull off or twist off/do you cut the black sleeves??) and did you change the line powe inlet filter that in paralle with the capacitor or reuse the old one?

galaxie428

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanj you. I actually found the same website this afternoon and ordered same one for 41. I havent fully disassembled yet. Was it easy to get the spark plug wires off the transformer (do the pull off or twist off/do you cut the black sleeves??) and did you change the line powe inlet filter that in paralle with the capacitor or reuse the old one?
I cut the sleeves, not sure it you have to or not but I pulled and mine wasn't coming off. I did not change the power inlet filter.

America1776

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought mine through supplyhouse.com. I think it was $41. I got it pretty fast.

I use offroad diesel in mine also and yes it is dyed red.

Hope this helps.
I have the same problem as you. I have the TM but I am unsure of the part number to use when ordering from supplyhouse.com. Do you have that part number?

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
I just got a H-120, it looks similar to the H-140. I seem to have the issue you are describing. I can't seem to find the TM for mine. Managed to find the parts TM only. Funny, looked up a H-140 picture & I think the remote control for one was inside of mine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks