• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Choosing Between M923A1 and M923A2

King

Hey neighbor, after you are settled, lets have a cold beverage to celebrate the iron sickness we both suffer :) Old Bust Head Brewery is just up the street.....

rickf

Carmen, Just realized you are right around the corner from Syria where we have a yearly rally. You just missed it over Labor day.

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Old bust head sounds great. Tin canon is also decent. Just small. There is that new one off 55. Did not love the flavors.

Last edited:

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M923A2.jpg
I am now an official member of the Bad Ass Big Boy Club! Drove her/him back this afternoon. That too fast light flashed at me a few times but I was easy on it as I wanted to get a feel for what it can do. Up shift was smooth as butter. 5th gear kind of catches you by surprise as it lunges forward and takes off. The down shift from maybe 3rd to 2nd then 1st almost slides me off the seat. Its fast and hard. All interstate so I got my doors blown off for the ride home. Did stop at a rest stop cause I was hearing noises but not sure if its serious or the troop seats rattle just getting louder. One of the rear hubs was spewing out gear oil. Had a wrench with me and all the bolts were all backed out?? Tightened them up ( a lot ) and finished the 2 or 3 mile home. That same wheel when I stopped had smoke coming out of the drum. All others were warm to the touch but this one was so hot i could hardly tap it with my finger?? Truck rolls when in neutral so not sure on that one. Hope I did not trash a bearing. When time allows I will start running through fluids as the seller claims they did but I call BS. Just got a bath with a pressure washer and Simple Green. Wanted to clean it up a little since I am sure I will be under there a while before I feel comfortable heading out without every tool I own with me. Thanks for all the help and support. See you out there. King..I will hit you up for a cold one but will be a week or so. 74M35A2..thanks again...I am sure it won't be the last.

71DeuceAK

Good looking truck, congrats! Yeah, the upshift isn't so bad, hardly noticeable except for changing RPMs but that 3-2 downshift will shake your teeth out at every freeway off ramp or STOP sign, from what I've experienced riding shotgun in one. Despite the loud, rough ride, they are still absolutely worth it, they are by far the best bang for your buck if you can handle it. Do keep us posted on the PMCS and how that goes!

74M35A2

Congrats!

Trans should be butter smooth shifting up and down. Lube the modulator cable. Adjust it if necessary. You can have a full cup of water on the floor of my truck with an open lid, and it will not spill on any downshift, all the way from 67mph to zero. I'll post a pic of where the adjustment is set at on my modulator cable.

71DeuceAK

The M923"A0" I've ridden in was definitely enough to knock that cup over, as if the G177's on our frost heaved freeways weren't already probably enough.

snowtrac nome

Duceak you think frost heaves are bad, over here on the west side there is no asphalt. Its a combo of heaves, sinkholes, and 18 inch deep potholes in our dirt roads. My last trip to teller I got the lmtv airborne, that sent the spit cup flying, other wise I usually make the drive with out ever spilling a drop thanks to the lmtv suspension and air ride cab

71DeuceAK

Haha! In the year and a half I've lived in Fairbanks, the furthest north I've ever been was Chena Hot Springs, just up the Steese Highway then 56 miles to the east down Chena Hot Springs Rd, and that was when I first visited the area in 2015. I'd love to get up further north though. A former roommate who was a Steel Soldiers member and I did look at a house out at mile 22 though, in Pleasant Valley.

PyroJoe

Congrats!

Trans should be butter smooth shifting up and down. Lube the modulator cable. Adjust it if necessary. You can have a full cup of water on the floor of my truck with an open lid, and it will not spill on any downshift, all the way from 67mph to zero. I'll post a pic of where the adjustment is set at on my modulator cable.
How does your torque coverter unlock feel when slowing down? I've read that their unwillingness to unlock was a huge problem in the military, killing lots of soldiers. Not sure if any MWO's addressed that or not. But all of our trucks you can absolutely feel the harsh torque converter unlocking event except for in the truck that has ATF for trans fluid. The rest all have motor oil. They claimed the ATF was supposed to help soften up the unlocking and downshifts and based off this truck, I'd say they were right.

74M35A2

How does your torque coverter unlock feel when slowing down? I've read that their unwillingness to unlock was a huge problem in the military, killing lots of soldiers. Not sure if any MWO's addressed that or not. But all of our trucks you can absolutely feel the harsh torque converter unlocking event except for in the truck that has ATF for trans fluid. The rest all have motor oil. They claimed the ATF was supposed to help soften up the unlocking and downshifts and based off this truck, I'd say they were right.
Mine feels good, stock oil, don’t feel anything. The torque converter could not unlock fast enough on a hard brake where wheels would slide. Engine stall, loss of steering assist, truck goes sideways and rolls over. Fix was to add ABS to all the trucks which cured this issue.

PyroJoe

Mine feels good, stock oil, don’t feel anything. The torque converter could not unlock fast enough on a hard brake where wheels would slide. Engine stall, loss of steering assist, truck goes sideways and rolls over. Fix was to add ABS to all the trucks which cured this issue.
That's right. I couldn't remember how the ABS upgrade factored into that story. Funny enough my USMC truck doesn't have ABS. I'm wondering if I should be scared or not. Guess I'll try the cable lube on the other trucks. Got a preferred lube?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
That's right. I couldn't remember how the ABS upgrade factored into that story. Funny enough my USMC truck doesn't have ABS. I'm wondering if I should be scared or not. Guess I'll try the cable lube on the other trucks. Got a preferred lube?
No USMC/Navy 939s got it. Salt water and electrical components aren't compatible.

I ran without ABS for years. Only locked em up once.

74M35A2

I use half a can of WD-40 with its straw. Literally put that much down there. Keep pulling the cable out and letting it snap back as you do it.

PyroJoe

No USMC/Navy 939s got it. Salt water and electrical components aren't compatible.

I ran without ABS for years. Only locked em up once.
Was reading that possibly the Navy Seabees got it. But I haven't found anyone who's scored one of their trucks.
I'm noticing the USMC without ABS also doesn't have the Haldex dryer. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing for the rest of the system. It's obviously one less thing to maintain though.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Was reading that possibly the Navy Seabees got it. But I haven't found anyone who's scored one of their trucks.
I'm noticing the USMC without ABS also doesn't have the Haldex dryer. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing for the rest of the system. It's obviously one less thing to maintain though.
They have an alcohol evaporator mounted to the block on the driver's side. So air dryers aren't needed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks