• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

chunks of metal in motor oil

2deuce

Hello All,
My M35a2c has a Continental Multifuel. When I first got it about 4 years ago I found 2 pieces of what appeared to be cast steel in the 1st oil change. The larger one barely fit through the drain hole. Now in my last oil change there are more. Anyone else have this? or know where this is comming from and why? The truck runs fine and has 30lbs of oil pressure going down the road. Oil pressure hasn't changed since I got it.
Thanks,
Greg

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd recommend pulling the pan to check. It's not a big deal. Long extension on a impact to get the bolts loose(there's a bunch of them) Wouldn't use the impact to tighten them. To get the pan out, you'll have to jack the frame up, leaving the axle droop. I've dropped the pan twice, dosen't take long.

Dennis

54reo

2deuce said:
I found 2 pieces of what appeared to be cast steel in the 1st oil change. The larger one barely fit through the drain hole. Now in my last oil change there are more. Anyone else have this?
Ummmmm......

No, I have NOT experienced this.

:shock:

Holy cow, man!!!

I would suggest following Stretch's advice and pull the oil pan to investigate further....

Keep us posted on this, please.

Sarge

Chunks

Small world.
My M35A2 dumped a bunch of small chunks of aluminum out of the oil drain hole.
I'm assuming that my crank main bearings are toast?
I parked it and let it sit.
One day, I'll pull the pan and take a look.
I'm thinking that the easiest route to go is to swap the motor.
I have the heavy lifting equipment.
I don't have the cash, that just went on my M1030.
Greg, are you certain that they are steel pieces? Did you stick a magnet on them?
Any tips or advice will be welcome!
Especially the funny advice, I could use a smile right about now.
-Sarge

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Re: chunks of metal in motor oil

Man You gotta pull the pan. Not going to get better. Better find it before it locks up then you will have a mess. :shock:

Sarge

RE: Re: chunks of metal in motor oil

You found this FOUR YEARS AGO!!!!
And you've been driving it ever since???
Man, you have a lot more faith in machinery than me!!!
Wow.
-Sarge

scooter01922

You found this FOUR YEARS AGO!!!!
And you've been driving it ever since???
Man, you have a lot more faith in machinery than me!!!
Wow.

+ 1 sarge, holy moly 4 years and it still runs, i knew these were tough engines but WOW. Better pull that pan and take a peek, and grab us some photos while your at it if you could.
Scott

2deuce

I've put about 8K on the truck since I found those 1st chunks. I don't know what I did with them. I thought these next pieces would have been the same kind of stuff, but they aren't. They are both ends of a large C clip and 2 smaller pieces of the same clip. I should have dumped the oil out of the bucket before I started this post. Any guesses where that C clip belongs?
Thanks for the help,
Greg

scooter01922

uh, just how large are these "c clip" pieces??? Both in length and the what the guess-timated diameter they would be whole. Anyone else thinking rings???

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kudos to your cochones for fishing the chunks out and continuing with your day (and another 8k). I would have pulled the panic cord right there and then.

The shedding of unnecessary parts means that an engine rebuild is raising its head. In a way, at least you got enough additional mileage out of it so that the resulting damage will make a rebuild worth the while. The danger of this tactic is, that the next piece of hardware may well auto-destruct the block. It is a lot of work to clean up all of that oil spill.

From a money perspective, it may be cheaper to get an engine that someone torched out of the truck (still sitting on the frame rails; don't you all love that?). If you do a rebuild, at least you have a pretty good idea of what you have underneath that hood. The running-when-parked engine that you swap in may or may not start dispensing hardware anytime soon. Or, it is a perfect runner, needing no attention, whatsoever. Who knows.

55Cameo

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: If I had an engine that had chunks like that comming out for 8,000 miles and it kept running, I would let it run until it expolded :D . I also thought that these engines were very tough but holy crap!!! Now really, I would also suggest pulling the pan and taking a look, if for nothing else to take pics and let us all see.

Srjeeper

The only part INSIDE the engine I can think of with large C-clips would be the Piston Pins. :shock:

That is if they even use them in the multi's to retain the wrist pins. :?:

I'm pretty sure you would have heard something by now if one of those came off. :roll:

Good luck with whatever you find :!: