• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

chunks of metal in motor oil

2deuce

I have another engine, if this one goes. I bought this truck from a fire dept. I don't think they changed the oil very often based on how old the oil was in that first change so I didn't know how long it had already been in there. They told me they had taken it on 6-700 mile trips to fight fires in other parts of the state. I have changed the oil often and haven't found anything since the 1st change until now. The C clip pieces were in the main sump portion of the pan. I'll take a picture, what is the easiest way to get it here?
Thanks,
Greg

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I found chunks in a Ford 351 Windsor and when I dropped the pan holy cow it was bad. New engine was installed. Can't see one of those coming off without some serious damage to the liner, piston and crank. Good luck and pictures are really helpful when asking for help.

hippiedude

I wonder if a piston is comming appart.....may be the skirt came appart......allowing the clipp to come out...........I would think the cylinder wall is toast tho......... Tim

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen piston pin snap rings come out before. If it is still a runner with no noises, you're good. When that happens, it screws up the piston and liner. Puts a big groove in the piston where the snap ring was, and a couple of grooves in the liner from the wrist pin riding on the liner. You can 1 hole it and call it good.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn't run that engine anymore (even to pull it into the shop) untill I found out what was wrong. Engines need all their pieces and if some have fell out the drain hole it's a miricale it's lasted as long as it has :shock: .

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i too would have to know what is going on ... even if you just pulled pan and seen that whatever it is you could either fix it cheap and keep running it or if its major and the engine is already hurt beyone any repairs and you seal up the pan and fill her up with oil and keep running it. and in that case you know one day it will lock up.