• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

city of torrance, CA armed forces day parade

papaydsailor

May 2012 City of Torrance, CA armed forces day parade

Vehicle | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
The City of Torrance is inviting personnel in the armed services and veterans to participate in its 53rd Annual City of Torrance Armed Forces Day Parade on
Saturday, May 19, 2012 | 1:30 PM - 3:30 PM
Each unit branches should sign in Torrance Blvd between Crenshaw and Madrona 30 minutes before the parades starts. For military vehicle and marching unit contact 310-618-5695 for info.

· Torrance is one of few cities nationwide sanctioned by the Department of Defense to honor our Armed Forces through an annual Armed Forces Day Parade & Celebration.
· Torrance's Armed Forces Day Parade has the distinction of being the nation's longest running military parade sponsored by any city.
· Last year's celebration brought approximately 60,000 people to crowd the Parade route, and staff is expecting a similar turnout this year.
· The year 2012 marks the 53rd year that the City of Torrance has hosted an Armed Forces Day Celebration to honor the nation's military. Torrance's celebration lasts from Friday, May 18, 2012 through Sunday, May 20, 2012.
· On Saturday, May 19, 2012, the parade begins at 1:30 p.m. at Crenshaw Boulevard and travels one-mile west on Torrance Boulevard to Madrona Avenue. It ends approximately at 3:30 p.m.
· Each year, the City of Torrance identifies one branch of the military - the United States Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force, or Coast Guard - as the "honored service" of the Armed Forces Day Celebration. A high-ranking member of the honored service is invited to serve as Grand Marshal.
· This year's celebration honors the United States Air Force. With a flyby of its aircraft.
· Besides the Parade highlight, the community can enjoy other festivities during the 53rd Annual City of Torrance Armed Forces Day Parade & Celebration, including military exhibits and a free concert by a band from the honored branch.
· Military exhibits on display, including aircrafts, vehicles, support equipment may be viewed at the north end of the Del Amo Fashion Center at the lower parking lot west side of the parking structure on Friday, May 18 from 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., Saturday, May 19 from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., and on Sunday, May 20 from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
· The Air Force Band of the Goldenwest Band will perform for free on May 18 at 1:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. at the James Armstrong Theatre, 3330 Civic Center Drive.

Last edited:

steelandcanvas

I can understand why this has been going on for so many years, it is a wonderful parade and celebration. I was raised in Torrance and fondly remember many Armed Forces Days, I'm sure that's where I fell in love with Military Vehicles...

RDUKW

I have given rides to several veteran groups over the past few years in this parade. This is the one parade I really look forward to each year.

Ryan

papaydsailor

There is still time to win a chance to fly in a vintage military aircraft over the 2012 Armed Forces Day Parade. Just got word from the Western Museum of Flight that they will be keeping the donations open until noon on Thursday. The winners will be drawn and announced on Thursday afternoon. This is a great way to view the Parade. Contact Western Museum of Flight for more information http://www.wmof.com/

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks