• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

City owned LMTV

Rebuilder

So I'm heading to Tennessee this weekend to pick up an M1078 that a city purchased through the the Gov Surplus 1033 Program. If you're not familiar the 1033 Program it's the same program that state agencies use to buy MRAPs and grenade launchers for their police force. I realize all this stuff is a gamble but does anyone know if these trucks are the same level of possible disrepair as the ones that are up for public auction or are they possibly selected and repaired before going to the city? It's got 7300 miles on it and I'm told it's good to go and they've never had any problems with it but after reading this forum I find that hard to believe :p.

Anyway, I'm excited for the adventure of driving it back to Minnesota and I'm prepared (I think) for whatever might happen. I grilled my insurance guy pretty hard about the roadside assistance/towing plan but I hope I don't have to test it.

I'll keep you all posted. :driver:

Terry

Lmtv772

Banned
Hi Terry
If the city sells it tells you that it had issues that they could not handle.I would NOT advise you to drive a vehicle you have not driven before or seen before for any distance. It's not the first time that a an overambitious buyer bought someones problem and wound up with a 18.000lb paperweight alongside some busy highway homeward bound.
Do what many of us smart people did, get a transport to flatbed your truck. Your friends will think you're crazy plenty that way... they will say you were out of your mind if brake down, or flip it since you have no clue how to drive an LMTV.

kenet3621

My 1994 M1079 had this ownership history:
Fort Bragg NC
Latta SC Police Department
Steel Soldier in SC
then myself.

This truck has been wonderful! I think the Latta City PD got to hand pick it from Ft. Bragg.
The first private owner towed it back from Latta and the only thing in maintenance he did was tighten up the radiator fan.
From what I have read on Steel Soldiers towing or having a unit hauled to you is the least painful way to get one home.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The cops and other local goobs get the pick of the litter.
They want to sell it before the big goobs recall it.

Rebuilder

Hi Terry
If the city sells it tells you that it had issues that they could not handle.I would NOT advise you to drive a vehicle you have not driven before or seen before for any distance. It's not the first time that a an overambitious buyer bought someones problem and wound up with a 18.000lb paperweight alongside some busy highway homeward bound.
Do what many of us smart people did, get a transport to flatbed your truck. Your friends will think you're crazy plenty that way... they will say you were out of your mind if brake down, or flip it since you have no clue how to drive an LMTV.
Trust me there is still the option of having it hauled but since I've already made the plans I'm going to drive down there to take a look at it and assess it from there. I don't like the idea of buying it without seeing it in person and this way I also have the option of backing out if it's not what he says it is. I'm bringing a friend who is a former courier driver (dock truck) and is currently the lead mechanic for a courier company so at least I have that going for me.

Duckworthe

Welcome to the disease. I hope you get there and it's in great shape. I had some repairs to make on mine but it has been a great truck and has taken me on some amazing adventures so far. Hope yours does the same for you!

Lmtv772

Banned
Trust me there is still the option of having it hauled but since I've already made the plans I'm going to drive down there to take a look at it and assess it from there. I don't like the idea of buying it without seeing it in person and this way I also have the option of backing out if it's not what he says it is. I'm bringing a friend who is a former courier driver (dock truck) and is currently the lead mechanic for a courier company so at least I have that going for me.
I'd feel better if I could have SSG Robinson go with you. There is nothing better than having someone who knows MV in and out from combat experience.
Good luck... and bring a grease gun and check the Wheel hubs, they like to go dry and make a **** of a noise just before they go out and lock the tires up.

Rebuilder

Welcome to the disease. I hope you get there and it's in great shape. I had some repairs to make on mine but it has been a great truck and has taken me on some amazing adventures so far. Hope yours does the same for you!
Glad to be here. Looking forward to this adventure and many more to come.

Last edited:

Rebuilder

I won't make this a full trip report because the title is regarding city owned trucks but I will say that was a really fun 900 mile trip. The truck was well maintained or just never messed with and everything was in good working order. Only issues we had were a headlight went out and about half way home the cooling fan solenoid started sticking so we had to tap it occasionally to get it to actuate. Everything else worked great. 53-58 mph and 6-7 mpg pulling a car.

20160507_130802.jpg

FloridaAKM

Murphy must have been busy with some other FMV out there, good job bringing her home. Now we need a detailed after action report with pictures when you get a chance!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks