• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Civil War re-enactment

Barneyszoo

Just wondering if any local SoCal SS members have ever been to, or plan on going to this re-enactment at Calico Ghost Town in the Mojave des. on Feb. 18-20.

deuceaid

Banned
I didnt know the north and south fought in the dessert. At first I thought You were going to post about one being held at Rilleys Farm up in Oak Glen. I haven't been to one, dont know what I`m doing then. Have You been to it before?

dabtl

The farthest west CW land battle was at Picacho Peak, Az.

Battles were also fought in New Mexico, principally Glorietta Pass.

The farthest west and also the farthest north was in the Bering Strait.

dabtl

As in Alaska?

The CSS Shenandoah sunk the New England whaling fleet.

The furthest south Confederate grave is in South Africa.

The last land battle was fought on the banks of the Rio Bravo (Rio Grande)

The furthest north land battle was in Vermont.

Firejareen

This past summer I was working the 1st Battle of Manassas (Virginia) 150th anniversary. A lot of DC dignitaries showed up. It was huge. If the one you speak of is worth a darn then you will enjoy it. At the Manassas one, which was a three day event, they had fields of campsites where the re-enactors were camped. A whole row of merchants selling their wares. All the re-enactors were great to talk to and the kids loved it. I got to play with a cannon and talk to the guys in the battery. It should be fun.

ralbelt

I went to one in Brooksville FL. last year. Any where from 3 to 5 thousand renactors, so I'm told participate.
The amount of realisim these people invest into this event is unbeliveable. Hundreds of tents set up for the north and the south. Cannons , horses, muskets, down to the smallest detail of kitchen utensils.

dabtl

My avatar was taken in a training session with the 1st Cav. Art. in 2002. We fired alongside the M109A5 in direct fire training. Our target was a M48 at about 1500 yds. Our shells bounced off the hull after exploding, of course. The M109a5 that I was allowed to fire hit the hull squarely blowing the M48 into scrap metal.

An interesting experience to say the least.

Oh, and our gun was a 3" Parrott Rifle firing shells from Paulson Bros. Ordnance.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks