• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Civilian armoring the HMMWV

Hummerhmm

I think this thread needs to be started.

My goal is to stop 5.56 and pistol rounds for the 4 man cab and engine enclosure. Obviously we have to protect our love ones in the cab but a bullet through the radiator will only allow you to go a few miles (temperature dependent I guess). If the engine is hit in critical areas it will stop immediately. I also am looking into self sealing coatings for the fuel tank. Want to keep the added weight less than 1000 pounds.

If I had the means I would just buy a low key armored SUV but I already have the HMMWV (1165 A1) with a bunch of holes in the body and decided to just place some real armor on it because why not. The HMMWV is already about as high profile as you can get and armor wont make it stick out much more than it already does.

1/2 inch 6061 T6 aluminum with some 3/8 ar500 or kevlar backing in more critical areas looks like it may be the way to go but am open to suggestions. I have ordered scraps for ballistic testing but may be a bit before I get to it. The 1000 pound weight limit is a hard stop for me so I may have to go thinner. Figuring out how to keep the hood light enough or add lift assist will be the greatest challenge of the project. 2nd most challenging will be ballistic glass.

The reason for 6061 vs 7075 is the back face spall on the 7075 with not much more ballistic performance. 6061 is also weldable.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im pretty sure you cant even make the door skins out of the 3/8 ar 500 and be under a 1000 lbs let alone the 6061 0n top then the weight of bullet resistant glass all the way around the cab ! you have to pick which you want strength over weight then youve got to store the truck inside or cover all the glass if it lives outside or it will turn milky and hard to see thru eventually . You can look into ceramic plate its lighter and 223 is hard to stop in a vehicle even more so most wont take a second round in the same spot it would be cheaper to move than build an armorerd veh not to mention steel cored 223 308 50bmg are going to sail thru your truck like the windows were down sound like you need a M1A tank on wheels

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Im pretty sure you cant even make the door skins out of the 3/8 ar 500 and be under a 1000 lbs let alone the 6061 0n top then the weight of bullet resistant glass all the way around the cab ! you have to pick which you want strength over weight then youve got to store the truck inside or cover all the glass if it lives outside or it will turn milky and hard to see thru eventually . You can look into ceramic plate its lighter and 223 is hard to stop in a vehicle even more so most wont take a second round in the same spot it would be cheaper to move than build an armorerd veh not to mention steel cored 223 308 50bmg are going to sail thru your truck like the windows were down sound like you need a M1A tank on wheels

Attachments

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
4x8' sheet of 3/8" steel plate is 500lbs or so. You've said you want to armor substantially more than double this amount of surface area. Therefore the 1000lb limit is incompatible with the use of 3/8" AR500.

Ballistic glass is UV sensitive and not only becomes opaque, but also loses its projectile resistance fairly rapidly.

My opinion, and it's just that, is that a hmmwv is a poor vehicle choice for applying armor. The military came to this same conclusion, and the armored variants have a different power train and a much more robust suspension.

Augi

What exactly is the scenario you are planning for?

The army doesn't generally armor the engine compartment. The idea is to protect the crew. The vehicle itself is expendable. To armor the engine compartment you probably end up in the weight range of a tank anyway.

They are generally operating in a convoy and with support from the rear. If they are hit and the vehicle is disabled then they evacuate the wounded and load everyone else onto other vehicles.

Maybe you need a ferret or similar?

Augi

Last edited:

Action

A soft top m1165 weighs about 6500 #. The m1165a1 has a GVWR of 12,100 #.
The hardtop m1165a1 weighs about 7,200 #
If you only add 1000 #, what are you planning for the other 2 - 2.5 tons?

Hummerhmm

You could always look for an uparmored hmmwv and save yourself a lot of time and effort. Just a thought.
1. Building it is more fun.
2. I would never armor the engine compartment as part of a supported combat movement. This will be getting my family point a to point b with support consisting of a few extra parts and tools.
3. If the alphabet boys are listening, strictly defensive use for me while running like a chicken.

Hummerhmm

A soft top m1165 weighs about 6500 #. The m1165a1 has a GVWR of 12,100 #.
The hardtop m1165a1 weighs about 7,200 #
If you only add 1000 #, what are you planning for the other 2 - 2.5 tons?
hopefully carry as little weight as possible so the poorly designed weak engine can push my beast with some conviction.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could you get body armor for the people inside and make a safe room in the back and maybe a ballistic windshield? Body armor will protect when you exit the vehicle because you will at some point. I believe that would be the best way. I seen armored cars for sale like the ones with routes, maybe convert to 4wd. Not a big fan of adding a pound to the hmmwv.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks