• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Civilian parts crossover

rickf

I am sure this exists here somewhere but I have not been able to find it. I have found that the M37 I bought that was ready to go is far from it and it needs a lot of parts. I want to see what is available from the civilian side after seeing the price for one, yes ONE, brake shoe!! If I have to spend 800.00 plus to put shoes and wheel cylinders on this vehicle it will get axle swapped to newer Dana 60's from a modern truck! Tires are bad enough. Things like brakes, thermostats, points, bearings. This stuff has to be out there in the civvie world.

rickf

I saw the ones at VPW after I posted this. I also saw they have them for 1/4" oversized drums which mine are. I need to check the drums I took off of my other 37 when I put the disc brakes on since I think they were in much better shape. I am going to pull the wheel cylinders tomorrow and see if they are rebuildable. Three look like they were replaced before so They may be fairly clean inside, the right front is definitely am oldie so I have doubts about that one. The seller told me this was all replaced but the problem is that he was depending on a couple of different "Mechanics" to do this part of the work for him. Yea, he got taken. I know him so I know for a fact he did not know the stuff was not fixed correctly. There is nobody around here that does brake relining anymore. I don't even know where I would get drums cut. I wish now that I had kept the brake lathe from the shop we closed up. I just did not have anyplace to put it. That thing was beyond heavy and the huge amount of tooling took up an entire wall.

Blake

I am sure this exists here somewhere but I have not been able to find it. I have found that the M37 I bought that was ready to go is far from it and it needs a lot of parts. I want to see what is available from the civilian side after seeing the price for one, yes ONE, brake shoe!! If I have to spend 800.00 plus to put shoes and wheel cylinders on this vehicle it will get axle swapped to newer Dana 60's from a modern truck! Tires are bad enough. Things like brakes, thermostats, points, bearings. This stuff has to be out there in the civvie world.

Cabell has a good list compiled. Some of the numbers are no longer current but alot still are:

Parts.PDF (garbee.net)

cjcottrill

Be sure to note that the left and right side are different. The piston sizes are different at either end.

I have attached pictures of both boxes so you can see the individual part numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cjcottrill

I did not see the NAPA part number listed on line. I went to the local store with the numbers and the counter clerk looked it up. He had them in the store for me to pick up by 0730 the next day.

rickf

When was this? I called today and those numbers are unavailable. Seems since Raybestos sold out nobody but Rock auto has any old stock. When I checked Rock Auto they could not tell me the actual bore sizes on the cylinders and their listings show several different for the same parts. Rockauto also charges a restocking fee if the parts are wrong, I was not taking that chance. I just bought 4 from Midwest and I know I will get the right ones. Surprisingly my master cylinder was good with the exception of a dried out cup so I can get by with a kit for that. I still have to pull the hydro-vac master cylinder out tomorrow. I am hoping I can get by with a hone and clean on that because finding parts for that may be an issue.

cjcottrill

The date on the box is 2018, I didn’t realize it had been 5 years. Time seems to get away from me these days. I apologize for leading you down a wagon path.

Blake

One side of the wheel cylinder casting is 1-3/8” bore and other side of casting is 1-1/4” bore. The larger bore faces the rear of the truck on all wheels. The raybestos numbers mentioned are good numbers for the m37.

rickf

Thanks Blake, I knew the sizes but Rock Auto could not tell me the sizes on the cylinders they have in stock since the published numbers are not what they should be. I have had this issue several time with Rock Auto. They say they have something and they list is as such but they send something different stating that it is compatible, Which it isn't. Then you have to pay the restocking fee. That is why I seldom buy from them anymore unless I know for sure I am getting the right part. And the two NAPA stores I deal with around me could not find those parts. They found the numbers but they could not find any stock anywhere. It is just like the shoes, Raybestos stopped making them and once the stock dried up then that was it. Same thing here, Raybestos was apparently the only maker of these wheel cylinders.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks